Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: The longest build thread ever, at least it seems like it!

Every T98 I found online (all two of them) have the ebrake which is a different retainer. The ebrake won't fit. Still looking.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Found it after close to 6 hours of looking at Trans shops, Ebay etc. Found it on On Ebay. A Hyster forklift part. EDIT > :::::THIS PART DID NOT WORK. DISREGARD THE FIND. IT WAS TO SHORT COMPARED TO THE M715 PART. I think I know why it broke. The mounting ear was machine faced on top to have a flat bolt surface. This left an inside ridge in the casting that the brace pressed down against causing the brace to not lay flat on the mounting ear. The brace then pressed hard on the tip and the back ridge of the mounting ear causing it to crack. The solution is a very short bushing to square up these parts. I do not know if there was supposed to be a spacer or bushing in the OEM installation. I will have a look at the online manuals. Glad to have the part. I needed it to finish a good rebuild. I want to get all this done.
    Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; March 21st, 2023 at 10:54 PM.

Found a snafu. The replacement 2nd gear has a small issue. My original gear is on the left. Apparently the replacement was made for a T98 south of the equator.

Waiting on yet another replacement. And the same thing happened on the Buick 350. The Rockauto crank looked great. But it had no counterbore for a pilot bushing. Back to Texas it went today. I will take the scratched up crankshaft I have to the machinist to turn the bearing journals down. To top all that I whacked my left thumb hard with a big German hammer. I need to learn how to swear in German.

I am trying to get the hydraulic clutch set up.

Two steps forward...one back.

Since I served in Germany back when, I do know some choice swear words in the language...maybe we can skype sometime...

That 2nd gear....I know some of the input shafts for the T98 had the gear on the end clockwise and others counterclockwise. It came up when people were looking for the right input shaft to use to swap in a different motor...like say an AMC 360. Some are up to 16 inches long even.

Not sure if that would be why the gear is that way?
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I hope to be getting the correct gear tomorrow. I just finished my clutch set up. Many thanks to 78 widetrac from the IFSJA site. I put out a request to see if anyone had a picture of a Buick 350 long bell throw out fork and bearing. Well he found one from Early CJ-5.com and posted it. I solved my poor geometry issues. The buick 350 fork is flat and not curved. I could not find a flat fork long enough. I modified the one I had in the bearing press and welding. It is great now. Now the crank goes to get turned down since the rock auto crank got returned for not having a pilot bushing bore. Finally moving ahead.

I took the crankshaft to the engine builder today. I have used him before several times. He does excellent work. Had a long conversation about God. That is awesome. That stuff never happened 10 years ago. I think it is cool. I also finished the transmission rebuild today. Except the Hyster bearing housing did not work. It was 1.5 inches tall and the OEM M715 bearing housing is 2 1/8 tall. Well poop...
    And again Glenn to the rescue. He has one for me and I should be able to seal up the tail end of the transmission this next week. Perfect. The T98 second gear was spot on and went from my mailbox to the mainshaft in mere minutes. Serious.... It was extremely difficult to press the bearings in the bearing press. 1 inch taller and it would not have fit. Crazy.. Those civi J truck input shafts are a mile long.

Man this was heavy and awkward. It wanted to tip and had to be held while I set up the push.

All done.. well almost.

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; March 21st, 2023 at 10:55 PM.

That is a looooong stickout...almost looks like a flag pole sticking up there...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Looking good. Had work today and just got home. Going to start looking for the output this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    That is a looooong stickout...almost looks like a flag pole sticking up there...
    Is that not the truth. The tip is just reaching the Montana border. I am meeting Glenn in the AM for the bearing housing. He has work up here. Is that cool or what? He is a generous outstanding guy. I should be able to get started cleaning up the motor in a few days. I have cut some trees down that I need to collect for firewood first. I still have snow and that is easy logging. I'd rather be working on the truck.

Sounds like a great "neighbor"! Wish I was close enough to be one...course, I'd probably drive you nuts after a week or so...

Still getting snow here...if it dont quit soon, Im gonna have to start blowing the piles into semi trailers and taking them to warmer climates to melt!!