Page 28 of 44 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: The longest build thread ever, at least it seems like it!

There is an old thread somewhere in which Doug had his bolt stretch when putting the bearing cap back on the diff...I remember he had a pic of a good bolt and the stretched one...will have to find it and see 0if the pic is still working...
    He felt it happen when he was torquing it down...seemed to get almost tight then looser...pulled it out and there was the damage...

Seems this bug bit you too...at least you caught it before it got worse!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Havent found the pic but the details are in this thread...Barrman, Gonz, Doug and bump_r all had issues with torque below the book spec.

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/showthrea...Locker-install
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

That was an interesting read. Good memories with those guys. Gimpy and Bump_r and I wonder what Doug is up to. From now on when I am putting a differential back in I will be paying attention to the torquing and if there is any doubt, replace the bolts. So I have an even better one for everybody. I was cleaning up my front axle parts and removing my high steer and cross over parts I found something I am really glad I spotted. A huge safety issue. The high steer kit comes with 1/2 x 20 studs to mount the arms on the top of the knuckle. Now keep in mind I have not torqued the nuts down on these studs. They were only installed to steer the truck and get it out of the shop to work on other vehicles last summer. No driving on them of any sort. 4 of the 8 studs were cracked all the way down the whole length of the studs. It looks like a heat treatment issue. I sent these three pictures to Ruff Stuff Specialties. I have looked for THREE SOLID HOURS NOW and cannot find 3 inch long Grade 8 1/2 x 20 studs with the same thread on both ends. Amazon ads up the ..... Well you know. I just can't find them. I think a 3 inch piece of grade 8 all thread will have to do. They tighten with lug nuts on top. It should work ok. But geez my luck with bolts and fasteners lately.
    Have a look at these!

Deep cracks too!

Never a dull moment around here.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

That is crazy...seriously!!!
    Glad you caught it for sure!

You must have the patience of Job with all that keeps getting thrown at you...or maybe I dont know how much you throw when your offline to get the frustration out...

Keep up the great work...it WILL pay off one day.

I think Job had it worse. I think of him when I am feeling the pity party surface. Serious... At least I don't have leprosy.
    And cracked and broken fasteners are just nothing in the big picture of today. That needs to stay in perspective for sure.

So Ruff Stuff called me first thing this morning. They want back all the studs and are sending me all new ones. I can not speak highly enough of them. Back when I ordered my high steer kit, it showed up box crushed and torn open from UPS. Several expensive parts were missing. Ruff Stuff graciously and promptly replaced them. Now this time they were very concerned and they called ME. I have ordered a lot from them. And if I need more stuff I will do so again. I highly recommend them. I told Eric how I looked for three solid hours for a 1/2 x 20 high strength stud and no go. That the slew of page after page of amazon ads was disgusting. Bezos is a richard for allowing that to happen. To many counterfeits from amazon now. I avoid them like leprosy. lol I had better shut up since free speech does not exist any more. And I would hate to be fined by paypal for misinformation. So, How about that weather? It was minus 15 this morning. More painting weather...
    I am happy this turned out well yet again. And no signs of any lesions.... yet.
    Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; January 30th, 2023 at 08:41 PM.

The replacement studs from Ruff Stuff showed up right away. The seem to be a darker tint. They threw in a Tee shirt. They have been great to deal with and compared to other companies they are outstanding. Consider them if you need what they sell.
    So progress is slow but steady. Today I should get my dana 60 king pin parts. I have been cleaning up parts and getting some black paint on. I want to get right after painting the truck but if I sell my home, I can't have this thing all spread out everywhere. I want to leave here though. It feels like what I should do for now. But wait ten minutes..

Progress...

Beefy tie rods from Ruff Stuff. You won't bend these.

11 degrees this morning. Painting weather... Remind me to move somewhere where you can paint longer than two weeks out of the year.
    Onward.

A stand up company...getting harder to find these days but good for them!!!

Leprosy...yeah...Job did have it pretty bad...I have had to remind myself as well about such things when I hit the bumps in my life and get my "the sky is falling" mindset going...

So the front axle is just about all done. Today I mount brake line tabs on the frame and shorten and reflare the hard lines where they meet the soft lines. I have kind of a weird issue. The rotors are new, reman calipers, new pads. The caliper piston is fully retracted and the fit on the rotor is tight. I know it will get hot. So I am wondering if I should have the rotors turned. And just who around here within a 3000 miles radius actually does that. AND comma I am waiting for the hub rebuild kits that are supposed to be here today. I called Warn industries in Oregon and asked them if they sold the locking hub decal that they include in a F*rd kit separately. Nope ... They were not helpful at all. The opposite experience I had with Ruff Stuff. I used to 4 wheel with the senior design engineer at Warn. He would have set me up. But he retired out years ago. Warn got purchased by North West investment group. They ruined a good company. Stopped all the full floater kits, all the good stuff. Vintage Reproductions ( clickitandstickit.com) will and has made me every single decal I have requested. I should send them an email. I am going to get drivelines made soon. Onward...

All my axle works is done. I got the rear axle pinion angle set after putting about 200 pounds of stuff in the bed. I put it at 0.7 degrees low because the pinion will climb under load. That should put it right in for being hopefully vibration free. And I welded the shock mounts on. I got the front brake line tabs welded on the frame. AND bonus, the Warn hub rebuild kit came with new decals. The Warn customer service guy could have told me that.. I am going to order a front CV driveline and get the rear shortened. The rear has 1410 great big 1 ton U-joints, and the front will be also 1 ton at 1350. Just don't have a look at the dinky little u-joints between gear boxes.

You're making good progress, better than me. Looking forward to coming up this spring, hopefully in one of my rigs. Still planning on moving? And where too?