Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: The longest build thread ever, at least it seems like it!

I am going to go with that Glenn. I am getting to wrapped in the details. Thank you.. And it it does not work right, I will just quit using my brakes.

Default The longest build thread ever, at least it seems like it!

Agreed. Big reservoir for disc and small for drum. Before I went to the hydro I used a MC that had a small and a large reservoir but disc brakes all around. Didn’t have an issue. As long as you add fluid occasionally as the pads wear it’s fine. But going from manual to hydro was a huge improvement. Al I think you’ll find that brakes are somewhat necessary sometimes…

Well brake lines are done. Big reservoir to the fronts, small to the back. I ran a couple coils around some 1 3/4 tubing for body to frame flex. I think it just might stop now. I need to change the rear axle gear ratio. To 4:56 like the front dana 60. Dana Spicer makes a thick gear set for a three series carrier. I have them here..

Well I decided yesterday to get after the rear gear ratio change. This is a big axle!

The 4:56 gears to match the front dana 60 are Dana Spicer and a thick gear set to use on a three series carrier. That saved a lot of money by not having to change the Powr-Loc out. I really like Powr-Loc's. The design is genius. The 3:54 gears I took out ( on the right) have a thicker tooth than the new 4:56. Probably not enough to matter, but I noticed it.

The Powr_Loc is easy to identify even through a fill hole.

I had a very strange diagonal contact pattern that was very hard to interpret. I have never had that happen on all the gears I have set up. I changed a couple things to move the pattern around, that took a long time, but settled on what I have now. I can run a pattern after break in and see if there is something amiss later. But it was weird.

Glad to have this done. I will land the shock mounts after cleaning up the tubes and soon I will clock the axle and weld the spring perches. After setting the U joint angles.

The brakes looked good. But someone put the shoes on backwards on the drivers side. The primary shorter shoe is on the back and should be on the front. Easy fix. But lots of material left.
    Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; January 25th, 2023 at 01:09 PM.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Looking good. Ready for winter again, sounds like it's coming back this weekend.

I am watching a major cold front coming down from Canada right now. 100% chance of snow tonight. I spent the day tearing down the front Dana 60 to replace seals, clean up wads of grease, get black paint where I might not reach later. I needed to order up some kingpin parts. I am impressed with the Dana 60 and how stout it is. I need to clean up a few more parts and then wait on the kingpin parts. Just burning up winter on the truck build. My first truck was named snowball by the folks at the Arizona observatory where it lived for a long time. I should find a winter based name for this one. Anyway...

Might as well call it Blizzard Al. That is kind of how your life reads the past few years. Like you were hit by a blizzard and this thing is helping you get through it

If that over steps on getting too personal. Then, I apologize. What I wrote is the first thing that popped into my head when you mentioned it needed a name.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Good description Tim. Never too personal coming from you. Yep life has had some turns. Every day I wonder where I am headed now. And trying to get over it. Liz would always say just do the next right thing. She was wise beyond her years. So getting this truck done seems like the next right thing. I get a lot of enjoyment from building jeeps. I would like to use it before it becomes illegal to drive a gas powered vehicle. Sarc.. Thanks for the reply.

The ultimate site for info on the Dana 60.
    http://www.billavista.com/tech/Artic...ble/index.html

Decided to go ahead and reduce the gear backlash. I was at the max spec and I can't leave well enough alone. Thought I was pulling threads as it would not reach torque. 80 Ft Lbs for a Dana 60. I figured I would go head and pull the threads and get out a helicoil repair kit. I won't do that again because it was the bolt and not the threads. I barely had enough to grab and fortunately it twisted right out. Whew... I never have had a bearing cap bolt fail before.

And cleaning up each part one by one. Electrical tape on the seal surfaces works better than masking tape. Looks like I painted them, but they are masked off. There were no roller bearings in the long side axle U-joint. Probably was noisy.

It is snowing again. Painting weather!!
    Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; January 28th, 2023 at 02:57 AM.