Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 lever light switch and 12 volt conversion.

Default 3 lever light switch and 12 volt conversion.

I am almost ready to start thinking about wiring. How easy or difficult is it to use the 3 lever light switch on the 12 volt conversions? I most likely will be installing a pre made harness, maybe a Painless or similiar. Thank You Fisherman

I used the 3 lever switch in mine. It was fairly easy to use it in the set up, although I do not have all the seperate functions hooked up. I just worried about getting the main functions working. When I turn on the lights, I get both headlights and marker lights. I don't have the sevice stop setting hooked up, which means that my brake lights and turn signles work without have to be turned on on the 3 lever switch. (just like a normal 12v car/truck). I then hooked up the blackout stuff to the blackout side of the switch so that it works correctly.

The 3 lever switch has no problem functioning on 12 volts or 24...where youmay have an issue is with the turn signal setup. If you have the early style with the large underhood distribution box, the relays and flasher dont trip on 12 volts. These systems also use a column turn signal switch with the name Sparton on it and they have no hazard lights. If you have the later style with the small solid state flasher unit under the hood and the turn signal switch on the column that does have the flasher position it works on 12 and 24 volts fine.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Thanks for you input, I will be installing a new column with a built in turn signal. Probably the same column Jed installed. I am planning on keeping the 3 lever and hoping I can get most of the functions to work correctly.

I have the pins diagrammed, you need anything there, just ask.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Thanks Brute, I'll let you know when I start on the wiring, might need that, gonna be a little while yet.

Todd,
    Like other have said, the switch works great on 12V. You are using a civilian column, right?

The regular head lights are a no brainer with the 3 lever. So are the black out light functions and gauge lights. (Oh, I can't get my gauge lights to work on "dim" no matter what switch I use. I think that is the only thing that doesn't work on 12V. It is probably the bulbs and not the switch.) Just print out the wiring diagram that shows what each pin does and follow it.

The only head scratcher you are going to have is the brake lights and blinkers. The 3 lever sends power to the brake switch and then takes the switch signal back into it again. The brake signal then goes to the blinker box. You are going to want to take the brake signal and send it to your column for the blinker. I think you are also going to have to piggy back on the brake power wire to provide power to your column mounted blinker controls. What column are you using? I can tell you more if I know that. I wrote the above thinking you were using a GM column and sticking to the stock M715 tail lights. If you are going to use different bulbs for the blinkers and brake lights, then you can just run your brake lights right off the switch.

Let me know. I will have access to all vehicles made wiring diagrams until about 1600 today and not again until Monday.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thanks Tim, I am using LED military lights from Trucklite. I am buying a column with I believe a GM style turn signal in the column from Summit. The same column Jed installed in his Tan colored truck. That's what I know at this point, just trying to think ahead a little as I need to make decisions on what I want and how to do it. Thanks for the Information.

If you use the solid tate turn signal setup, stock type, with LED lights, you need to change the lamp in the colum switch to an LED...fyi for those interested...

Todd,
    I can look at the stuff on my computer, but I can't copy paste it. I don't have time right now, but I will print out the column wiring for say a '85 C10. I will try my scanner at home and see if I can get it to you that way. If nothing else, I can tell you what color wire does what.

You are using the LED composit lights that have the b/o brake light, right? That is going to be wire number 23 and pin N on the back of the 3 lever. Your wiring harness should already have it wired into the switch and to the right rear of the truck. You just need to make a connection on the drivers side.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw