Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LAV and the xl connection

Default LAV and the xl connection

Finally got a set of tires cheap. Mounted on LAV rims.How hard are they to breakdown? Assuming rather difficult if hes in the tire business and did'nt want to dismount to ship.

By the time I did my 5th one, I was able to do it in less than 10 minutes. The 1st one took a little over an hour. I don't have time right now to find my pictures and write about it. DP did the definative write up on the subject anyway. I will try to find it in a few hours.

You need to build a compressor for the lock ring. Once you do that, they are easy.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I still think those rims would be useful for something. I'd like to grab a set sometime locally and see what I could come up with.

This should contain the info for the runflat removal:

http://m715zone.proboards102.com/ind...3700620&page=1

And this should be the rest of what you need from Kaiser715:

WARNING AND DISCLAIMER:

Before even thinking about doing this job, use a valve core tool to remove the valve core from each tire assembly. Wait until each tire is completely empty. Check it. Check it again. Air pressure behind the flange is what makes split rims fly apart. You don't want blood all over the inside of your shop, and it will be hard to do the rest of the tires one-armed. If you get lucky, you will bust your head open and not feel the pain. Leave out a couple of barf bags incase a new on the job paramedic hasn't seen a busted-wide open gourd with brains dripping out of it. Remember, if you hurt yourself doing this it's your own darn fault.

Here is the tool:

The tool is pretty heavy, more than required, but I had a bunch of 3x3x1/4 cutoffs as scrap.

The first tire I did with a ratchet, to go slow and easy, after that used air wrench, and it went pretty fast. those 2 straps that cross on the bottom side of the wheel are just 1/4" flat, with a nut welded to either end so they won't rotate and you don't have to put a wrench on the bottom side.

You have to mash the flange down about 1/4 to 3/8 inch, then the lock ring easily prys out:

After lockring is off, lift off the flange. they are to the left in this picture. Then you remove the gasket, you can see it partially lifted here. Start it up with a screwdriver, then it just pulls off:

Then you used a sledge to beat the rim out of the tire (it sticks on the runflat). I mixed some dish soap with water in a squirt bottle and wet it down before driving it apart.

Here you see the runflat in the tire. It is about 40# of solid rubber.

To remove the runflat, I used a ratchet strap to depress it, then sawzalled thru it, wrapped a strap around it, lifted on one cut end with the chainfall while I kept a foot on the tire, and it snaked out.

Somebody else posted a pic of using an engine hoist on an uncut runflat, with the XL up under the legs of the engine hoist. Looked to be faster and easier than the way I did it.

If anybody around NC needs to use my flange compressor, we can work it out.
    Last edited by kaiser715; February 4th, 2007 at 11:15 PM.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Elwenil, I've got a set, So. Md. if you come this way sometime. Devildog took one to Bob C. he said they would make great boat anchor.

Quote Originally Posted by vrod02 View Post
    Finally got a set of tires cheap. Mounted on LAV rims.How hard are they to breakdown? Assuming rather difficult if hes in the tire business and did'nt want to dismount to ship.
    XLs are 95lbs a piece as they are. Still mounted and with the run-flats in them, they've got to be over 200lbs, eh? That's a lot of extra shipping charges for waste! Perhaps you would do better to pay him to dismount them first, as long as that turns out to be cheaper than shipping an extra 500lbs.
    -- Tim Taylor

Holy @#$%! That looks like a job. Many thanks for the great info.He shipped four tires on rims for 120 bucks.Paid 75 a piece. 4 free rims are in St. Louis,when I get them. Thanks again guys.

Thumbs up

You did all right there, Vrod!
    -- Tim Taylor

70%ers. He's got 20 something more in this shape hundreds of 50 or less,cheaper.Talking about retreading some in the future.Retread not regroove.Hes in Al.For purists john Winslow has brand new ones for 200-250ea.Outta my range.I have both contact #'s for those interested.Cant wait to get dirty!!

Once you get the jig made to compress the ring it goes pretty quick.