Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about this Air intake system

Default How about this Air intake system

I am wanting to draw in outside Air. This is the one I had the best "gut" feeling about.

I do not have any room to mount intakes up front due to the Radiator size.

So the best options I can think of are.

1) A hole in each side of the top portion of the firewall which will allow air to be drawn in through the cab. Concern would be the noise from the suction???

2) 2 holes in the hood covered by a "dryer vent type cover" , with opening towards windshield.

Let me hear yor thoughts.

http://ramairbox.com/product.html

I know Tom ran a dryer-type vent on his truck - but I think that was primarily for heat venting, and not air intake.

Your idea would work - I've been thinking about something like Toms' for the heat issue on mine.

Aren't there also some partially open round intake covers that are re-useable? that would be another option - Fram or somebody like that.

Barry raised the center area of the hood...the part that is already higher to start with,and made the rear opening of that into a cowl induction port. I saw him go through one heck of a deep mud pit over and over and never had trouble. There is a large video coming back up one of these days of one of his runs...bottom line, it works.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I used a stock Chevy air cleaned housing from a pick-up truck and 2 ducts from a 1 ton truck . Welded on a extra snorkle and ran ducts downward from housing to sides of radiator . Though not a good idea if you like fording rivers . Also installed the sensor and vaccum lines to run the baffles for cold weather issues .

Why not duct it into the cowl plenum at the base of the windshield?

Good idea for warm weather . I might be a little worried about air supply when those vents get clogged with snow . Mines a daily driver all year and not garaged at home .

I don't know what overall appearance you're going for, but I think a snorkel setup looks cool and would solve your water intake worry. With the 502, a stock snorkel is prolly not going to flow enough, but I think you could get creative and find/make some bad-ass looking combo for a snorkel that would complement the looks of your truck and your engine and be fully functional for your engine as well. My 2 cents.

Or use 2....one on each side...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I called the guy at Ramair today. He said one 6" hole inside the cab would be the best bet , but said it would be loud at full throttle. I have a 8.1 (496) litre in my one ton , I may disconnect the intake hose and have someone rev it up , so I can get an Idea what he defines as "loud". I dont want to wear ear plugs. Ramair also suggested two vents out to the front , somthing like fast Eddies, but mounted up towards the top of the Rad.

I definitely like the snorkel look , had an ARB on a cherokee and always was being asked if I drove it underwater. Ramair said the largest snorkel had a 2.5" I.D. (I assume he was talking of ARB) and would not move enough air for the 502. So 2 snorkels would be the ticket, Like Brute4C mentioned. Question is , Which 2 ?? I have not seen any homemade ones I like , and dont think I could do much better.

Havent heard any Negatives from Tacoma on this thread, Must not be a bad setup. LOL!!!

It'll be very loud. I've been in a truck w/a big block and a big K&N in the cab.