Thread: roll cage

Default roll cage

I know some of you have built them, so my question is, what did you come up with for the front hoop where it comes down in front of the windshield latches? Did you move the hoop away from the latch towards the steering wheel so it still can be opened? Did you forget about the latch all together and tie the windshield to the roll cage? Some thoughts please!

Thanks, Jed

After many hours of thinking ,measuring and rethinking. I put the bar directly in front of the latches and tied the top of the windshield frame to the cage in the center. It's the only way to keep it close to the dash and also keep the glove box functional.

Jed, as you know I'm working on this one MOOAHAHAHAH

Mine's going behind the dash. Function first. CHOP CHOP

Yeah your cage will be very nice Tacoma, But I don't WANT to roll my truck, hahaha. I'm going to pay another visit to Off The Back Fab and look that truck over again. I think he moved the latches in a few inches. I remember all the pics that were posted on roll cages a while back, but I can't find them now.

Thanks Joe, for the input.

Down and dirty - I hacked out the latches on the three cages I built. I spent a good bit of time trying to finger out a good way to reuse the stock latches or to work around them but in the end it's just too simple to tie the windshield to the A hoop. Plus with the soft top frame on, you can get by without lashing the windshield.

Moving the left latch inboard is no problem but the right latch would fall right over the glovebox and would require trimming the hook or re-working the glovebox opening and door. I don't feel like that section of dash is rigid enough to support the forces applied from the windsheild flexing with and against the body.

Chris

You can kinda get an idea in this shot, it's about the best I have on hand.

Thanks Chris. Much appreciated!