Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B.B.C. headers

Default B.B.C. headers

Here is what i got. 454 mated to a 2wd 465. I cut the stock frame horns of the kaiser and am now using chevy clamshell mounts and part of a chevy truck frame to bridge the gap to the M715 frame. I also took the stock trany crossmember out. I did this so the headers would think that they where in a stock chevy and not give me any clearance issues.

Now i have a motor/trany hanging in the truck and can not weld anything together ( motor mounts, trany mount, crossmember, clutch linkage......) since it all depends on where the headers run.

I ordered a set of headers and now i find out that they are on back order until Jan 20th and i dont want to wait that long to get this thing together.
    To make it more of a pain I need 1 7/8'' primary's on the headers and i can only find that in the one set from Hedman in 4wd that is on back order.

My question is will a 2wd set of headers fit my application? i dont see why not but want to ask around before i order them. Hope you can make sence of my rambling thanks again Nick..........

You need a header that dumps in the back. Stockers work great, and dont' hit anything.

So pretty much anything that fits that bill will do. I'll be running the stock manifolds until I pony up for some coated Edelbrocks.

Have you ask your local muffler shop if they can make you a set of headers? I know you can order the blanks online and a good shop should be able to bend new headers for you. This is what I plan on doing with my 292.

yeah, right!

I wouldn't have mufller monkeys build headers on anything that needed to be done well LOL. It's taxing most of them to the max just getting straight pipe welded up right, much less bends. Add in the hourly charges... and it gets ugly quick.

Besides that, there's no need to do that for a big block, as several workable options are out there.

almost every header for the chevy truck with a B.B. has 1 5/8'' or 1 3/4'' primary tubes. A truck header with 1 7/8'' tubes is nonexistent but i found a set from hedman #69140 that has 2'' primary tubes and it is for 4wd chevy with manual trans but its on back order.

There is a really good shop here that does a lot of custom work. You can go there and he pretty much has any header you need. He has been doing it for over 30 years. His prices are very resonable. Over the phone he quoted me $150 if I brought him the plates. That's not to bad for custom headers from what I have seen. Nothing off the shelf will fit my application because of how the 292 is mounted.

that's pretty cool. I'm thinking of your run-of-the-mill muffler shop, employing special people and illegal aliens.

You have a vaulable resource there! That's a great price on a custom header.

Default interesting

please post pic,s.

did you try to find the part # you are looking for at all the popular online stores? Summit, jegs, etc?

someone may have a set in stock...

depending on how your motor is built, you may want to try some smaller primaries, not like the 715 is a race car is is going to be turning 6000 rpm..
    1 3/4" primary may work for you motor...

I have an article from Hotrod magazine about different headers on a ZZ454, the 1 7/8" flowed better than the 2" or the 1 3/4, but that's for a motor with over 450Hp...

Yes 1 7/8'' is what my motor needs to run at its best. acording to the books it should have close to 500 h.p. and if i change the cam like i think i will it will definetly be around the 500 h.p. mark. i dont want the 2'' but i would rather get that than choke it down with 1 3/4''.

The motor is a little much but my last project is gone and i had this thing sitting in the garage and figured what the hell!