Thread: Seal Driver for Front Hubs?

Question Seal Driver for Front Hubs?

I just attempted to repack the front wheel bearings, and was shut down by the lip protruding from inboard edge of the hub. The seal driver I borrowed was much larger in diameter than the 4 1/8" recess inside that lip where the seal goes.

I tried to find a 4" to 4 1/8" OD seal driver on the web, but those I found were part of sets that cost from $100 to $120, plus $40 shipping on the more expensive set.

Can someone give a me a part number of an individual seal driver, or some other lead that might save me from paying way more than I want for more seal drivers than I'm likely ever to use?

I'll have one made at a welding shop if I have to, but that's the last resort.

Block of wood.

or if you really need metal then a galvanized pipe floor flange.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    Block of wood.
    Yep,
    A clean block of hardwood is all that you need. Well, a hammer also.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    Yep,
    A clean block of hardwood is all that you need. Well, a hammer also.
    Easy to find in Texas & West Virginia, not so common here in the land of hem/fir & pine, which fills your freshly-packed bearing with wood dust & splinters (don't ask...). Now that lumber yards have given way to home improvement centers, it's even more difficult to find anything that isn't framing lumber.

I could get some of the 3/4 oak at HD (that & poplar is about all you get here) & cross-grain laminate it.

Thanks for the ideas, guys!

Haven't had the issue with my 715, but I made a fork seal driver for my bike out of a PVC pipe....
    Is that real money?

This is what I found to set these seals. It's perfectly sized, and would have worked great for BOTH seals had I thought to give the seal bore on the second hub a light chamfer with a Dremel. New seal on order.