Thread: what the hell?

Default what the hell?

How are you copyrighting US Government publications on the manuals page????

I don't think that's right. Or probably legal. Wouldn't that be doing the same thing to Uncle Sam as that guy did to the site w/those CD's on Ebay???

Equivocate! and discuss.

Interesting. Maybe Gonz can shed some light on the copyright laws. Might the site be in violation of copyright laws by copying the manuals in the first place? Maybe some distinction between free membership and paying membership?

The user-generated stuff would seem to be OK.

I would think copyrighting user-generated material is not only ok, but prudent, but tin principle, I strongly disagree with posting copyright to a publication that someone else probably has legal claim to. Doesn't seem remotely right to me.

I wondered about this also. While I do respect the amount of work Jon has put into them to get them uploaded to this site, they are available from other places and as with the more modern stuff LOGSA distributes freely, there are US Government property, but are free to distribute. I don;t know how this applies to publication, or re-publication after the fact, but it would seem to me that they are free from the owner and therefore should be considered free to all from that point on. I think that maybe Jon just doesn't want someone copying the PDF files that he probably bought the software to create and did all the scanning for and then print them and sell it on ebay. The only problem is that copyrighting something on here that he may have put work into is available from many other sources for a small fee and then it's free to re-copy and re-distribute it so there is no way of knowing that it was taken from here. Manuals on disc in PDF format are a huge deal and you can buy them for just about anything from cars, MVs, machinery, guns, and anything else you can think of on ebay and other places. Most of the time it is illegal but since Government documents can be reproduced after they are released to the public, there's no way to copyright them I don't think.

The manuals have no copyright in their original format.

The version I made is different than any other that anyone else makes...instead of simply scanning the pages and making a virtual copy of the original non copyrighted manual, I scanned, used optical character recognition software and cmpletely remade the manuals in a unique format. I have also added pieces from different versions of the manuals that were not all in many original versions.

The manuals hre are the original info, gathered from as wide a field of the original versions and revisions as possible, formatted in a unique way that is all the result of thousands of hours of my time.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Makes sense to me. Now on to the important stuff, I cant open most of the manuals.

Or the pics either.

Good answer. Let's move along.

I would imagine there are some teething pains moving everything over. Patience!

Th manuals are working..as if making our version the first time wasnt enough...I am having to do some considerabe rework to get them into this format the way we need them to be....I have a few pages done and alot more working....example...if you go to the manuals link up top, then click on the quirks manual in the left hand menu, that already is done.

It will take time but that is my thrust right now...I will announce things as they come online...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

thats what i thought. keep up the good work