Thread: First test run of the truck

Default First test run of the truck

I drove the truck a few hundred feet down the road today. Ran good and then I spent about an hour adjusting the brakes. I dont know if its normal or not but this truck is extremely bouncy, like to the point it was bouncing me out of the seat over some rough parts of road. The shocks are brand new, is this a normal feel to these trucks?
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

They do ride like a brick on a skateboard due to the stiff leaf springs.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

Shock absorbers are designed to slow down the rebound of the suspension springs. If the springs are flexing less than a quarter inch, at most. Then they really can't do anything about it. The shocks on heavy duty trucks are really only used when the truck is at max gross weight.

Bumpr, years ago did the math/testing and figured out if your rear springs are compressed 1.25 inches, then there is more than 2,500 pounds in the bed.

Tire psi is the easiest way to smooth out the ride. Others have taken the leaf packs apart, lubed them, painted them with spring paint and put in new plastic separators to get a little more flex. Others remove springs from the packs to get a smoother ride.

My truck with my tires and my engine likes 22-26 front tire psi and 42-44 rear tire psi for daily driving empty. However, I get great mileage with all 4 corners above 70 psi. I just can't handle the bouncing.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

The worst riding suspended vehicle I have EVER driven. Mine rides like a forklift.

Buy the big bottles of Ibuprofen.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Shock absorbers are designed to slow down the rebound of the suspension springs. If the springs are flexing less than a quarter inch, at most. Then they really can't do anything about it. The shocks on heavy duty trucks are really only used when the truck is at max gross weight.

Bumpr, years ago did the math/testing and figured out if your rear springs are compressed 1.25 inches, then there is more than 2,500 pounds in the bed.

Tire psi is the easiest way to smooth out the ride. Others have taken the leaf packs apart, lubed them, painted them with spring paint and put in new plastic separators to get a little more flex. Others remove springs from the packs to get a smoother ride.

My truck with my tires and my engine likes 22-26 front tire psi and 42-44 rear tire psi for daily driving empty. However, I get great mileage with all 4 corners above 70 psi. I just can't handle the bouncing.
    As they say, "What he said." For sure, they will bounce you around when empty. And my truck has old Nylon tires. Boy, does it thump, thump, thump going down the road until you make a few turns and get the flat spot in different locations around the tire. After about two miles, especially in the summer, they smooth out. But the truck still bounces... a lot!

That is funny stuff. Starting with the tire pressure.

Tire pressure first. Offroad suspension seats also help. You should also make sure the shackles are greased and actually moving when the springs flex.

The best way to tell if the shackles are moving is to pick up the frame and let a corner droop. While the jump on the truck test might be fun, it is hard to jump and watch at the same time.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

No need for me to add to the ride quality info but I would like to say the truck looks great.