Thread: Military Distributor Rebuild With 12volt

Default Military Distributor Rebuild With 12volt

I am trying to get the engine running after sitting for 5 years. I have made new spark plug wires and swapped out the military plugs for civilian plugs. I am not getting any spark. The engine has the military distributor but the fire department that used to own the truck converted it to 12 volts some time in the 1980's. I need to know will the 24 volt tune up kit that is available work with a 12 volt system? It has the military distributor currently. I have seen and driven this truck with the current setup, I just don't know what parts to order... This is the only kit I have found to do a tune up for this distributor but I don't know if i need something else for 12 volt: http://www.fsjjeepparts.com/tkm715-t...volt-m715.html

Any help would be awesome!!!!

The stuff in the picture doesn't care if it is 12V or 24V. It is the coil (and ballast resistor if there is one) that needs the correct voltage. It would be interesting to see what coil they used. Is inside of the ignotor? Or is it externall mounted. If it is external, how does the coil lead get into the cap?

this happened to me last year: took my truck for a drive, backed back up in driveway it started running ragged and died. tried to start it back up and could tell by sound it wasn`t getting any spark. opened ignitor and found the wire that goes from capasitor to coil was just hanging there. capasitor is under coil and is where power comes into ignitor. IF your coil is still inside.