Thread: Light bars

Default Light bars

Tonight I was behind a truck on a forested rural road here in CT. When the guy turned his high beams on, it was an explosion of light! I was able to pass him and saw a decent sized light bar in the front of his truck.

I have halogen sealed beams in my truck and they are OK for an old truck, absolutely nothing like that guy had in terms of lighting power. Is there a way to discreetly hide something like that in the front of our trucks?

You could probably put a couple 18-20" bars in the rad opening.

Are they legal though? The story I get around here is state law says up to 5 forward facing white lights. A 20" LED light bar will have dozens if not hundreds. Off road use only and probably police looking to give tickets for this.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Change your headlamps to LEDs. The mill ones are expensive but well worth it. Then you are legal and you will have light!
    Zone holster maker

I've been running LED headlights on my TJ since last spring. I got some like this from ebay.

Mine are a Chinese knock-off of the Evolution 2 by JW Speaker.

They are much better than halogen.

I also have a 50" light bar mounted above the windshield. It puts out an incredible amount of light.

Neither one is technically legal though on the road.

The Chinese knock-offs linked to above do not have a DOT rating. And at least in Michigan the light bar is supposed to be covered up when you are on public roadways. We here in Michigan can get a ticket for having them uncovered while we are driving on the road.

All that being noted, I have yet to be pulled over for it. I have never had my light covered since it was installed.

The headlights are fabulous. They have a distinct cut-off so you are not blinding oncoming traffic but the color and spread is easier to drive with. I just bought some Truck Lite military surplus LED lights that are DOT approved and seem to have a more even light distribution compared to the Chinese lights in my TJ that have lots of "hot spots". I haven't used them on the road yet though so I can't really compare the two sets I have.

Led headlights will provide 4 times if not better lighting. Get DOT approved lights and don't worry about the law.

If you want additional lighting I have seen a couple interesting places to put them, the most notable was under the headlights in the parking light cut outs.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

After having the military led lights, I doubt I'd go back to incandescent, but the mil-surp are just too much money for what you get. I've found the brand Maxxima that has a 5 year warranty. I'll go that route if I ever need more.
    "We are here for the meeting!"