Thread: changing air filter housing

Question changing air filter housing

I have an odd question , I'm changing the canister air filter housing out for the one that goes on the carb , ive removed all support and housing but with the housing on the carb hit the hood with about an inch from being shut , do I have to remove spacer under carb ? ive looked at the manuels with no luck finding out what I would need to do for the stock housing to go back on

Quote Originally Posted by jokerwild12345 View Post
    I have an odd question , I'm changing the canister air filter housing out for the one that goes on the carb , ive removed all support and housing but with the housing on the carb hit the hood with about an inch from being shut , do I have to remove spacer under carb ? ive looked at the manuels with no luck finding out what I would need to do for the stock housing to go back on
    Mine has no spacer under the carb, and it came stock with the old-style air filter, so my guess is you so have to remove that.

One thing I've noticed with the older filter housings is that the neck that fits over the carb is soldered to the housing body, and that joint cracks. Both of the ones I have are cracked at that joint, and I'm guessing all that's needed is a propane/mapp gas torch, some expertise, and some solder & flux to fix it. I haven't tried it yet. Too much other sh*t to do.

The "spacer" under the carb is actually a governor. It was put in place to keep the young studs, like Don, from blowing up the motor. And because it raised the carb and caused the stock air cleaner to hit the hood, they replaced it with the aformentioned canister air cleaner.

Remove the governor to get the clearance you need.

Yup...kwai is dead on...when you remove the governor, you will need to take out those long studs to mount the carb without...then it will all be swell!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    The "spacer" under the carb is actually a governor. It was put in place to keep the young studs, like Don, from blowing up the motor. And because it raised the carb and caused the stock air cleaner to hit the hood, they replaced it with the aformentioned canister air cleaner.

Remove the governor to get the clearance you need.
    I resemble that remark!

BTW, all of the information you got above is correct. Easy to change back to the early configuration.

mine has a governor and a spacer under the carb / two differ pieces , so how important is the governor ?

The governor is not needed. Early motors didn't have it.

Yep, the governor was only to keep hot foot privates from over revving the motors and blowing them up. As long as you drive it like a normal person with the understanding that uncle sugar is not the one paying to rebuild it if you blow it up, then there is no need for the governor.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Yep, the governor was only to keep hot foot privates from over revving the motors and blowing them up. As long as you drive it like a normal person with the understanding that uncle sugar is not the one paying to rebuild it if you blow it up, then there is no need for the governor.
    Was that directed at me? Just kidding. BTW, I was a SP5 at the time!

The picture above was taken on the Autobahn in 1970. At the time, I was 22 but now since I am 68, and since I own one of these trucks, I drive more sensibly.

I remember driving the 1969 trucks off of the boat in Bremerhaven and the first thing that I noticed was that they would only rev so far. I found out then that they had installed governors. My, how long ago that was.

A little trivia. My truck started life no doubt as an M724. It was made in 1969. But it has a low serial number and did not come with the governor. I guess they pulled the cab and chassis aside and later installed the welder utility body on it.