Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel tank replacement help

Default Fuel tank replacement help

Any one know were i can get a tank made direct drop in .so i can use stock fill neck.

Thanks for the link.any new word on sending unit and gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by da mule View Post
    Thanks for the link.any new word on sending unit and gauge.

I bought a Stewart Warner gauge & adjustable sending unit from Summit. Same 5-hole pattern as on the tank.

do you still have the part number for the stewart warner.and did the gauge fit the stock hole on the dash

do you still have the part number for the stewart warner.and did the gauge fit the stock hole on the dash
    That part number is on the sending unit box in the bed of my truck about 150 miles away. If you can wait until tomorrow afternoon, I'm going to go work on it & I can post that number.

As for the gauge, it is the exact same size as the stock one (2 1/16"). If I'm not mistaken, SW made the stock fuel gauge.

Note that the gauge is 12V, and I don't know if they make a 24V version. I think I have my old one if you want it, but I have no idea if it works.

so ,have you already installed the sending unit or is that what you are going to work on tomorrow?I am in no hurry so I will be looking for you to post that part number.It really doesnt matter if it is 12 or 24 volt since I have both a 24 volt generator and a 12 volt alternator powered by my chevy engine.The fuel tank and gauge are the only problems I have left to resolve.I have been putting off a tank for years,but am growing tired of changing fuel filters from the rust.So I would like to get the gauge working also, since for the last 10 years I have simply knocked on the tank to see how much fuel I have in the tank.Thanks.

so ,have you already installed the sending unit or is that what you are going to work on tomorrow?I am in no hurry so I will be looking for you to post that part number.It really doesnt matter if it is 12 or 24 volt since I have both a 24 volt generator and a 12 volt alternator powered by my chevy engine.The fuel tank and gauge are the only problems I have left to resolve.I have been putting off a tank for years,but am growing tired of changing fuel filters from the rust.So I would like to get the gauge working also, since for the last 10 years I have simply knocked on the tank to see how much fuel I have in the tank.Thanks.
    Not installed yet. Had to clean & line the tank first, find a filler neck, hose & tank straps, and tend to a bunch of other details.

After looking on the SW website yesterday, I concluded sending units are not voltage-specific.

I hear you about that rust: I chose not to line the tank in my M43 when I put a diesel in it, and had to clean a packed-off filter on the side of the road many times.

I'll get that number & post it up later today.

Sorry for the late reply: problems with work put me way behind making the trip to Wyoming.

The sending unit is this:

At this point, I think there must be better alternatives because you can't clock the sender to the mounting holes on the tank and have the float arm not hit the baffle inside. We had to file slots in two of the mounting holes to make it fit.

A sending unit adjustable for clocking AND depth would be the way to go, if such a thing exists.

I am hoping someone will read this and hook us up with part number for a sending unit that will drop in and work.Thanks for the help