Thread: Creative Criticism Wanted

Default Creative Criticism Wanted

Hello All,

I should first start by saying that so many of you have been a great help, im very thankful this place is here, if anything I really wish this place had more members.

Wanted to ask opinions good and bad about transfercase options for our Jeeps.

I plan on using a 6.0 LS / 4L85e / AMG 242 for my M715, I have all these parts currently.

The 242 is the military unit, I have 2 of them. I had thought about getting a 205, but it won't work with my 4l85e 4x4 case, the only way it works is with the Magnum Box from Offroad Design $2G and I still don't have a Ford 205 :/

The only way to mate a 205 with a 4L80e / 5e is a 2wd trans and a adapter kit.

Having served we never really had issues with the 242 until we up armored and loaded it with water and ammo, its a good case, but it also runs into reduction boxes at the hubs of the H1, that makes my unsure of how well it will handle 6,000lbs of Ohio Steel.

I have one of the 242s apart on my work bench, coming from the "Hot Rod" end of the hobby, I can see the 242 is rather strong, the main shaft is on par with a TH350 main shaft.

I would appreciate any input.
    68' LS TT 6.0 /4L85e /AMG 242

GM did make 4L80E trucks with the NP205 in 1991. So if you really think that is a way to go, it is possible. The same pedestal mount was used for the 4L80E to attach to the NP205 and the NP241 is what I have found in my search to hook up a NP241 to a 4L80E.

I thought the 242 was a full time unit unless some changes were made inside?

What is your intended main use of the truck once you get everything swapped in? Mud bog and rock crawling then you might have issues. Going down the highway and doing adventures in the woods on trails and dirt roads how it all works will depend on how fast your right foot goes down.

I am knee deep in square body K5's and Suburbans right now. They all have either a 208 or 241 and they all are within a few hundred pounds of a M715. I think you will be fine.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

A round-pattern 205 will mate to the 4x4 4l80E if you add a spacer to account for the different output shaft length.

Unless you are really hammering it, you will not break a tcase...Especially with an auto that takes some of the shock out of the system.
    Is that real money?

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    GM did make 4L80E trucks with the NP205 in 1991. So if you really think that is a way to go, it is possible. The same pedestal mount was used for the 4L80E to attach to the NP205 and the NP241 is what I have found in my search to hook up a NP241 to a 4L80E.

I thought the 242 was a full time unit unless some changes were made inside?

What is your intended main use of the truck once you get everything swapped in? Mud bog and rock crawling then you might have issues. Going down the highway and doing adventures in the woods on trails and dirt roads how it all works will depend on how fast your right foot goes down.

I am knee deep in square body K5's and Suburbans right now. They all have either a 208 or 241 and they all are within a few hundred pounds of a M715. I think you will be fine.
    My background is more in the Hot Rodding side of the hobby, and I appreciate everyone's insight.

The AMG 242 is a full time unit,
    if you put a NP 242 main shaft in it you get the 2wd option, but you lose the advantages of the HD AMG shaft, since I planned to use it mostly for on road use the idea was to keep it light as I could.

Time tends to "evolve" your original plans for projects , and Im not much on "just getting away" with it.

I believe what you guys are saying about the 205, but.. hell I can't find any parts that "ABC" that together, only info I get is the Advance Adapters #50-0410 kit "$670.50", but it states you need a 2wd 4l80.

I have a 4x4 4L80e already, and will be swapping in a Ford Dana 60, so I'm going to need that driver drop.

After talking to you guys, I really think getting the ORD Mag box with a Ford 205 might be the right way to go.

Heres a read.... even gives the .6" spacer needed to get it to work....

Doesn't sound too bad to get a NP205 in....

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy...205-again.html
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Quote Originally Posted by venominjected View Post
    Heres a read.... even gives the .6" spacer needed to get it to work....

Doesn't sound too bad to get a NP205 in....

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy...205-again.html
    I am going to call NorthwestFab this week. I was able to figure out that yea they had a 205 with the 4x4 4L80e in the 90s, its the "Round" style 205 and the spacer they make lets you run this case behind a 4L80e, however. ..

That "Round" 6 bolt style 205 is rather hard to find, found 1 on Ebay for $850.00..., the "figure 8" 205 seems to be as common as a 2nd Gen SBC. I could use a 6 bolt to Fig8 adapter but my spline count is now wrong, so im going to talk with the NorthWestFab guys and see what they think.

Don't take this post as a pity party, I like a challenge and I enjoy the learning curve, posting this just in case someone else ventures down this same path, and also recommendations (or parts) float up.

Thinking you Coal burners have the right idea. Makes me wanna find a rolled 2500/3500 Dodge and drop my cab and bed on lol.

I have 2 AMG 242s, one was broken when shipped to me and the seller sent another to replace it. I have one disassembled and am impressed with its engineering, having rebuilt TH400s I can say it comes off in the same class, my first thought was that the only way this case would fail would be shock loads defeating the Alum case, we had this issue when we "UP Armored" our H1s.

That being said, when do you ever hear about a blown up 205?