Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Far Have You Gone Under 230 Power?

Default How Far Have You Gone Under 230 Power?

What's the longest trip you've taken with the stock powertrain? I'm thinking of going to the Easter Jeep Safari, and I'd have to drive because I don't have a trailer.

Probably have to leave Longmont the week before Easter...

there was a thread a couple of years ago, drove the m715 cross-country. I think it was basically stock drivetrain.

Cross Country M715 Trip.....

And Binford drove his stock m715 all over Buena Vista during our FE in 2008.

Kwai, after finally getting my truck wired and installing a Pertronix ignition in that distributor, I gotta tell you it runs perfectly: right within published timing specs. Thank you!

As for 230 trips, I couldn't get a sense of how long it took to go trans-continental with that stock truck. It's good to hear he actually made that distance because my Wyoming buddy who is providing the truck, the shop, and some of the parts (he was active on here on the early oughts when he built his own 715) has a hatred of the 230 because of a Jeep station wagon he bought in the mid-60's that had a cracked head. That perception of unreliability has rubbed off on me to a certain extent.

Mine runs like a sewing machine, starts with a tap of the key, and holds 25 psi hot idle oil pressure. Still, I make sure to remember the NovaK Adapt url. Old biases die hard, I guess.

The military version of the 230 ohc motor had many improvements to fix the weaknesses that plagued the civvy version. Take a couple of trial runs for a few hours to check it out. If it runs good I wouldn't have a problem driving it several hundred miles. It's just going to be a slow drive.

I've run mine 1200 miles round trip and would most likely drive it anyplace were I not in a hurry, pokes along at 45-50 mph all day long. Mine too runs like a sewing machine. Just wish it had an overdrive for the road. Personally for what I use the truck for the old Tornado is plenty good. If your in a hurry, buy a boarding newer truck, LOL

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    The military version of the 230 ohc motor had many improvements to fix the weaknesses that plagued the civvy version. Take a couple of trial runs for a few hours to check it out. If it runs good I wouldn't have a problem driving it several hundred miles. It's just going to be a slow drive.
    That's good to know. Thanks.

I get the slow thing: I bought an M43 in the early 90's with the objective of a MARS repower. Before I did that, I drove it to a Power Wagon Rendezvous southwest of Denver. A 60-mile drive took me four hours flat out. I made a photo spread on Four Wheeler magazine, though. I guess that made that drive worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by bullmoose View Post
    I've run mine 1200 miles round trip and would most likely drive it anyplace were I not in a hurry, pokes along at 45-50 mph all day long. Mine too runs like a sewing machine. Just wish it had an overdrive for the road. Personally for what I use the truck for the old Tornado is plenty good. If your in a hurry, buy a boarding newer truck, LOL

Lee
    No hurry here; it's about the ride. Something about a fully leaf-sprung truck that just feels right.

I have an '08 Power Wagon if I want make time.

It's good to know I'm likely mistaken about 230 reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    What's the longest trip you've taken with the stock powertrain? I'm thinking of going to the Easter Jeep Safari, and I'd have to drive because I don't have a trailer.

Probably have to leave Longmont the week before Easter...
    Tow bar?

Default How Far Have You Gone Under 230 Power?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    Tow bar?

I hadn't thought of that, although that's how we got it back to town last summer:

That trip involved a couple miles of four wheeling up a rough little canyon, which was eventful, to say the least. Once on the county road, all was smooth sailing:

I had other things to focus on at that point, anyway:

That's a 7107 ahead of me. One of two in the "convoy". 150 years between 'em.

I had pretty much sworn off towing the 715 after it tried to pull me ass first into a ravine on this trip, but it might be worth another look for the trip to Moab.

Thanks for the idea.