Thread: What Bolts for the Fuel Tank Straps?

Default What Bolts for the Fuel Tank Straps?

How long are the bolts that secure the fuel tank to the underside of the bed? The nuts seem to be 5/16 fine thread, but that's all I know at this point.

The originals are 2-3/4" long and threaded all the way down to the head. As you mentioned, 5/16 NF. In the manuals section, Jon posted a list of all the fasteners that I measured during restoration.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Just a side note, just about every bolt that the military uses is fine thread. My dad, who worked on airplanes at the Glenn L. Martin company said that fine threads have less tendency to shake loose. Of course, military often used lock nuts as well...

Thanks very much for the help.

Don, I had learned only hours before reading your post the bit of info about fine thread fasteners. A buddy mentioned it that morning. Never knew that. Thanks.

Side note, we all know that when we replace a bolt and nut, we could use NC instead of NF because that is what most of us have. But, I always go to ACE Hardware and get the correct fine thread bolts and nuts. Do I have to? No. But it just makes me feel like I am doing the right thing. I think the fine threads look cool.

I have also found that fine threads, for whatever reason don't seem to get frozen. I mean that I am usually able to get a very rusty bolt out with a little PB Blaster on it. If it were coarse threads, it would break off.

Example??? The top bolts in the winch. ½-13 (NC) steel bolt threaded into cast aluminum. Yes, I know, dissimilar metals etc. But half of the top bolts broke off. I have a ½-13 tap, and Helicoil thread repair setup.

But the steel stuff just seems to come loose with a little brute force.

You probably won't find a NF tap bolt that long anywhere at common sources. I had to buy a hex bolt and then hand thread down to as close to the head as I could. You need the long bolts and thread to snug up the straps and get the bolts started.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Quote Originally Posted by rboltz View Post
    You probably won't find a NF tap bolt that long anywhere at common sources. I had to buy a hex bolt and then hand thread down to as close to the head as I could. You need the long bolts and thread to snug up the straps and get the bolts started.

McMaster has 3" full-thread bolts in the size & threading required.

McMaster is a life saver.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    McMaster has 3" full-thread bolts in the size & threading required.

McMaster is a life saver.

Glad to hear that. Thanks for sharing that info.

I got my McMaster order today, and those bolts come in packs of ten. I have enough left over for four people, if anyone is interested.