Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Painting an M715

Yep, 24087 can be a weird color. It definatelly changes with the available lighting. On real bright sunny days, it has a more brownish hue to it, and on overcast days it is more of a dark green. here is my truck in both lighting conditions.

Default Powdercoating

My kid and I are tearing our new M715 down to the frame. I plan on powdercoating the entire truck, body, frame and accessories. Anyone see an issue claiming stock M715 if the body is powdercoated?

Powdercoated pink? No. Powdercoated OD green or such? Sure!

What do you want to claim stock condition for? The stock forum? There are no hard and fast rules for that here. In fact, lots of heavily-modified trucks may have an issue with a stock component that would be perfectly at home on the stock forum.

My pioneer tool handles and troop seat slats are stained, not painted, and I'm running 11.00x16 XLs. Yet I still consider it stock. To others, they may not be satisfied with that description. It all depends on who you're asking and what your mission is.
    -- Tim Taylor

Nice pics! Has anybody other than Barrman got cruise control? That is a cruise unit in your pic, isnt it

Quote Originally Posted by ColHart View Post
    My kid and I are tearing our new M715 down to the frame. I plan on powdercoating the entire truck, body, frame and accessories. Anyone see an issue claiming stock M715 if the body is powdercoated?
    Please explain how you plan on "powdercoating the body"!

Bedliner might be a better choice than powder coat. Powder coat will look better, but you might have a hard time fitting the cab and bed into an oven or dipping them into a tank to make it right.

I have been impressed with the Gillespie paint concerning scratches. I drove all over Kwai's ranch with all kinds of trees, branches, thorns and such scratching against the entire truck. At one point my son leaned out the door and told me the entire passenger side was nothing but scratch marks. I had just finished painting the entire truck 2 weeks before that. I didn't worry about it or wash it. When I pulled off my roadster doors and put the full doors back on a few weeks later, I washed the truck. All the scratches were gone. This paint is great.

Dave in Kansas put bed liner all over his M725. He either had them put the OD green in the bed liner or painted over it later. I can't remember which. At the 2005 Texas FE, Dave drove that box everywhere my 715 with no top went. No damage was done to the paint or the body.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I would be scared of the heat warping the thinner sheet metal parts during powder coating. The same problem with sand blasting them instead of media blasting those parts. Also the extra thickness that powder coating adds over paint, might cause fit and alignment problems when reassembling the truck.

Dave
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M715 weapons carrier:http://www.davidallenracing.com/M715.htm
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M35a2 2.5 ton cargo truck: http://www.davidallenracing.com/M35A2.htm
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.i2k.com/~schwarzd/

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Also the extra thickness that powder coating adds over paint, might cause fit and alignment problems when reassembling the truck.
    Happens on american Choppers a few times if you watch that....built it all up nice...sent for powdercoat and it doesnt fit due to the new thickness of the parts.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Have any of you ever blasted your own truck and truck parts rather than sending them out? As I start to consider preparation of the truck for paint, was looking at blast equipment.

I own Armor powdercoat in CA. and have been blasting and coating for 10 years. Heat from sand blasting can destroy thin metal and easily warp it, as mentioned by Beast. Blasting of sheet metal car parts can be done with non-abrasive media. I would not suggest you practice on your own rig. Blasting is only one method of cleaning parts. Chemical paint removal, washing and etching is preferred for thin parts and is used in high volume houses where blasting is labor intensive.

Powder thickness control is my specialty with state of the art equipment and proper part grounding.