Thread: Front leaf springs, larger diameter spring eye forward??

Default Front leaf springs, larger diameter spring eye forward??

I removed leaf springs off the front of my M725 and restored them. I took a ton of pics as I took things apart, but none clearly show which spring eye is in front, I think its the large one (1.5" diameter) but would love it if maybe someone else could verify this or post a pic. The parts diagrams on here don't really show that level of detail between the smaller and larger diameter spring eyes. Any help is appreciated from those of you that have worked on the front springs.

Cheers,
    Bryce
    1969 M725 ambulance

I know Cj's are larger eye at frame mount. I will try to look today, but maybe someone that knows will chime in first....
    Is that real money?

From a different thread:

The larger eye should be mounted at the frame as Ray mentions.

But, I just tried measuring my trucks spring bushings, and couldn't get in there with a caliper to verify.
    Why in the world, I didn't organize all of the notes that I took during my truck restoration, and put them into a binder. I will never know.

Thanks jeepdan for trying to measure that up for me.
    My hazy memory and the very bad photos I took seemed to show the large eye forward connecting with the shackle. But unless some else disagrees in the next week or so , I'm gonna go with your collective wisdom and install the large eye towards the rear connected to the frame,
    I guess someone could have installed mine backwards long ago?
    Cheers,
    Bryce
    1969 M725 ambulance

I did a little more searching on here and came up with a post with part numbers for those bushings that now has me confused. See the text bounded by the ***** below . . .
    This was from jeepdan in 2012:
    Quote:
    The part numbers that were listed in the first post and in Jon's post are the ones to get. They fit my front springs and wantapinz used them recently as well. Thanks for your help guys.

front spring bushings
    front eye-napa p/n 274-6523
    rear eye-napa p/n 274-1185
    *****************For the smaller, rear eye bushings of the front springs, part #274-1185,*************
    my Napa dealer couldn't get them. First the pair that he received were wrong and didn't even match each other
    After that he couldn't find anymore, so he came up with this part #B323. They look almost the same, only the outer sleeve is 1//8" shorter at 2 3/8".
    The inner sleeve is correct.
    1969 M725 ambulance

So I think that's saying that the rear of front eye that mounts on the frame is the smaller one and large one is forward, right?
    1969 M725 ambulance

Quote Originally Posted by brycer1968 View Post
    So I think that's saying that the rear of front eye that mounts on the frame is the smaller one and large one is forward, right?
    I just googled the part numbers on the NAPA site that I had posted a few years ago. Unless I typed things wrong, it does look as if the larger eye bushing goes to the front

Measure the distance from the center bolt to each eye, to see if there is a difference.

Yes, the Eyes are different sizes. One bushing OD is a 1.5" diameter and the other is 1.25" diameter.

I'm trying to put together a urethane spring eye set for the front stock springs after seeing how quickly the rubber bonded ones seem to wear. The urethane set up I'm building is a little unconventional and uses some modified urethane bushings and delrin sheet to center the spring within the perch and protect he perches and shackles sides from wear. I'll post some pics once I install it and see how it rides/wears.

Bryce
    Last edited by brycer1968; July 25th, 2016 at 01:52 PM.
    1969 M725 ambulance