Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The project

Default The project

Settled up on where I am going with this latest 715...

Stock suspension/axles with Selectros and 10" wide one piece wheels.

39.5 x 13.5 tires.

2 inches of cab lift(extra tire clearance and lines up the cab/bed lines).

500 Caddy, 9:1 comp/Lunatti cam/Edelbrock intake/Holley 850 spreadbore.

700R4 auto into the original T-case(for now).

Rhino-lining the underside of the bed, inside the bed and inside the cab.

Scrapping a J10 for the civvy inner fenders, bigger rad and all the civvy heat and ducts(that are worthwhile, anyway){rest of that truck[including a rhino grill "conversion"] will be listed for parts shortly}.

I am figuring I'll just post everything to this thread from here on. I'll have a webpage up soon where I can slap up a couple hundred pics of the project as we go along and I'll link those. Feel free to pick all this apart starting...

Now.

Sounds good, A few questions. why the civy inners and are you going to use the inner civy valance, or radiator support? If so, is the reason to mount a wider rad?
    I'm trying to combine some J series parts also, strictly for creature comfort.
    Thanks Dennis

Civvy inners and core support will give me a bigger rad and a battery mount. Someone told me I need them to clear the civvy blower box, too, but I haven't checked that yet.

Oh, cutting out the civvy doors for "step-thru's", too. I just like the look of that.

A FSJ heater will clear the stock M715 inner fenders. Moving the passenger side M715 core support over to clear a bigger radiator is a lot easier than swapping out all the front sheet metal. I have done it.

A battery will still fit in about the same spot as a FSJ battery even with the core support moved. The only catch will be if you are running an air compressor over there or not. I have a 396 Big Block in mine and had the battery there with no interference from the engine or the 27-1/8" Summit Aluminum radiator. I moved the battery to behind the passenger seat to clear my York powered OBA though.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

The inners on the J are in better condition than the M's and I am pulling everything off the frame anyway so all I'll have extra work-wise is pulling apart the J itself(which I have to do anyway).

Go for it then. Take pictures and share what you do please.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

sounds like a good plan...

I Have done the relocation on a civy support. I will do it also on the 715 support.
    Thanks for the input on the civy heater stuff working with the 715 inners.
    I was planning on using the compressor on an amc 360. It sounds like it should fit. Thanks.

Default Reconsidering

Next to the shop sits the J10 I just got(parts listed in For Sale section). Under the hood is a good running 360 with an Edelbrock carb, hooked up to I asume a TH400 and the Q-trac transfer case. Really *needs* nothing. Pull it all out, make the mounts, stuff it in and wire it up.

Pros: Good engine. Cheap to do. It's all Jeep.

Cons: I've wanted an excuse to build a monster 500 for 20 years. With the Caddy I'll have an overdrive which isn't the case here, obviously. I'll lose the WTF? factor when people look under the hood.

Still, I'll save big $$$'s and lots of time with the Jeep mill. Thoughts?

I'd run it.

But, I'd swap the tailshaft out and run a GM t-case.... 241 probably, clocked. I hate Qtracs after having a few. UGH>