Thread: Pic's of tire breakdown

Default Pic's of tire breakdown

Wow, what a chore! Trying to break down the old "grown to the steel" tires. Tried about everything, of course nothing worked. Even had my neighbor bring over a duck billed hammer and nothing but bounce.

So before I break out the sawzall tomorrow, I have parked my truck on the spare and soaked it with kroil. I am leaving it overnight to see if it works.

Yeah the kid at the tire shop had a heck of a time with mine last year. I think they might have been original as bad as the "see through sidewalls" were. The tread even had deep, deep, cracks and splits. The tire machine didn`t even do any good breaking the bead.

after he got the ring off, he couldn`t get the tire off the rim. when they finally came apart small chunks of rubber were still attached to ring and rim. and had to be scraped off. I gave him an extra $20 when the boss wasn`t looking.

Take it to a big truck tire place. They deal with split rings all the time.

FYI, these are safety ring rims, not split rims, and the tire must drop below the ring to remove the ring(about an inch and a half). Still can be as dangerous as splits though

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

I took mine to an old shop downtown that handles big trucks and construction equipment. The old man that owned the place just shook his head... it was a slow day and he had a bunch of 20somethings working so he put 2 on each wheel with the duckbills. Then he had them go over the insides of the wheels with a flapper wheel or something. Pretty nasty in there.

I had planned on doing it myself but my wife saw me watching Youtube videos of tires in cages exploding and had a cow.
    She didn't care about the whole Safety Ring/Split Ring debate or the 3x Accidental Death or Dismemberment insurance through work....

Actually glad she put her foot down after watching those youngsters work their butts off...

I'll get the next set.

I gladly pay $20 for someone else to dismount the tires.

And my last tire took me a couple of hours over 2 weeks to get it off the wheel. Lots of WD40, soap, pounding with the duck-bill hammer, but ultimately it was the well-chosen curse words that got it loose.

Amen! I brought mine to the local big rig/tractor tire store and it was worth every penny.
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

I also found a truck tire place that did the removal, but I think put their newest guy on the job. The dismount wasn't pretty. The rings came back with all sorts of hammer strike dents on the edges and I wasn't happy about that. I used a hydraulic press at home to remove the damage and they came out very straight.

Once the rims and rings were sand blasted and repainted, I took them to Les Schwab's industrial tire service place and the guys there made the install look easy and the only "tool" they used was their feet/boots to reinstall the rings.

Totally worth the $$ to have someone else handle that chore.
    Bryce
    1969 M725 ambulance

Quote Originally Posted by brycer1968 View Post
    Totally worth the $$ to have someone else handle that chore. Bryce
    Yep, Service Tire did both my trucks and trailers. $5 to dismount and $5 to mount. Can't beat that. I tried to do one myself and no go.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era