Thread: Torque specs

Default Torque specs

Could anyone give me the torque specs on the intake, exhaust manifolds.
    Also the specs on the cylinder head to block, camshaft cradle, rockers and anything else that pertains to putting the head back on the block.
    Thanks for your help.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Last page or 2 of the -34 manual has some of the specs...about 10 or 11 pages from the end of the -20 manual has a longer and better list...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    Could anyone give me the torque specs on the intake, exhaust manifolds.
    Also the specs on the cylinder head to block, camshaft cradle, rockers and anything else that pertains to putting the head back on the block.
    Thanks for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Last page or 2 of the -34 manual has some of the specs...about 10 or 11 pages from the end of the -20 manual has a longer and better list...
    Sounds like you are getting closer. Glad to read this. Please, let us know how it goes. Did you find any problems?

A split in the head gasket, near the 5/6 cylinders. This is where I accidently crossed the #5 and #6 spark plug wires and got a few backfires out of the carb. Still say it could of caused an already old head gasket to split more. Everything else looks great. Will pull the oil pan off and check bottom end also.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I'll check the manuals for the specs I need, thanks guys.

Wow...really...

Are you using the stock wires or something else?

I guess i am wondering if there is a short from a plug wire sending full coil discharge into whatever is touched...maybe a break in the insulation that, for stock metal shielded wires, would then travel anywhere there is a ground...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Stock wires, although they are new from Memphis Equipment. Installed them about two years ago. I'm not sure if the two crossed wires and a couple of back fires caused the head gasket to leak or not. It just seems strange that after the back fires from the wires being on the wrong #5 and #6 plugs, and then letting the motor idle after correcting my mistake, I found coolant in my oil. All freeze plugs look great, including the one behind the timing chain cover. The top deck of the block shows some signs of a coolant leak in the rear, at the #5 and #6 cylinders. It's all very strange to me, as how my oil got that contaminated that quickly. The cam, cradle, rockers, etc, all look to be in great shape.
    One thing I did notice over the past year, was that after driving my truck and checking under the oil filler cap, when I pulled the tubular screen in the filler neck out, it always seemed to have moisture on it. Also the bottom of the cap had moisture. I believe their are two small plugs in the top of the head, under the cam cradle. Are these related to the water jacket cooling system? Need to look closely at them to make sure they are intact. Will do this when I go back to the shop.
    Hope I explained this so that it all made sense to you.

Yep...makes perfect sense..i know those plugs and they are for coolant passages...

If the head gasket had a small leak before, that could be what you saw on the cap...

I don't want to be an alarmist but think it should at least be mentioned here.

I think you should also check the connecting rod and piston on #6.

When you crossed the plug wires and tried to start it you didn't have a "backfire" in the traditional meaning.

Cylinder six would have fired early (while it was still on it's way up) and the explosion that occurs couldn't force the crank down like it would have normally. So the pressure from the explosion had no where to expand. In fact it was still being compressed by the piston on it's way up. That put a lot of extra pressure on everything in that cylinder including the piston, rings and connecting rod. You could have cracked a piston or even bent a connecting rod.

Hopefully the gasket blowing was the only damage caused by that but if it were me I'd spend the extra time/money to be sure.