Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: spark plug wrench , truck running very rough

Default spark plug wrench , truck running very rough

Newbe, I just started to tinker with my M715 yesterday.

Any suggestions on the best place for parts?
    How about a spark plug wrench?

Truck running very rough, I think it may be a fuel pump problem.
    Similar to a recent post I just saw here 'Truck runs like crap...'

Dumped the fuel and replaced, checked the carb, looked good and clean.
    Checked distributor, looked pretty good, cleaned contacts.
    Can't get the plugs out with the tools I have to check them.
    Wires looked good.

Pulled fuel pump off and checked internals, pump looked intact and looked clean, no tears in diaphragm, but actually found a small piece of spring (.5 inch) stuck to arm, not sure where it came from, unless old pump had broke and been replaced and piece of spring was left in cavity. Seems to be spring from underside of pump arm. Possible that spring broke on current pump and spring reposition itself in arm as it expanded.
    Are there any springs from where the cam makes contact with the pump arm?

May go buy an electric fuel pump and see if it resolves the problem.
    It seems some people replace the original with an electric anyhow any particular reasons?

I can't imagine how even a small part of a spring wound up in the bottom bowl of the fuel pump. I just had mine apart about three weeks ago and it seems hard to believe that a spring could make its way into the bottom bowl.
    What I just did was go to Advance Auto last week and bought the "blue" Mr. Gasket 12 volt fuel pump. Was $36.00 and works fine. By the way, I was the guy who's truck ran like crap, and part of it was my fuel pump!
    As far as getting the spark plug wires off, I used a thin wrench to break them loose and then use my fingers to get them off. Install is reverse of this.
    Where in Long Island are you located? How far from NYC? Just curious..

The spring was not in the pump, it was stuck to the pump arm, kind of wrapped around the edge of one side of the arm towards the tip. thats why I thought maybe it came off the old pump, the one in the truck looks kind of new.
    I am about 60 miles east of NYC, on the south shore.

Then yes, it sounds as if the old spring may have snapped and wound up stuck on the side of the pump arm. When I removed my fuel pump before I had it rebuilt, there was no spring....it was gone. Maybe it wound up in the pan...LOL

I had mine rebuilt and it wound up crapping out after a year and a half. Better off going electric and calling it a day.

I am about 2 hours from JFK airport...I assume you aren't too far from Massapequa area...maybe a bit east of there

Have to go with the electric pump just in the course of trouble shooting. I hope it is that easy.
    I am still a least 30 to 40 miles east of Massapequa.
    Mastic Beach NY.
    Hope to be cruzin the ocean beach with the M715 this summer, After plenty of por15 or undercoating to protect the truck. almost no rust now, would like to keep it that way, the beach can kill with rust.

I could have sworn I read somewhere online that POR does not hold up well in areas where there is salt air...like near the ocean etc and it flaked off. I remember then someone saying that Zerorust was better in cases like this. Better check into it...

If you do not have rust, I'd go with Rustoleum...I know once I sand my frame, I am going to paint it with semi gloss black Rustoleum.

I know alot our members have been disapointed with por15. P.C. even got a refund. I would hate to do it twice. Wait on the por till more people chime in.

It was Porkchop that had to redo the undercoating. He had POR15, which flaked off pretty quickly. You might ask him... Porky?

TO get the spark plugs off use an open end wrench to lossen and remove the spark plug wires. Then a regular 13/16 (I'm thinking memory fades these days) deep socket will remove the plug.

You may find that when you go to remove the wire the whole plug will come losse instead.

The correct spark plug wire wrenches are real cheap off Ebay. I picked up four dirt cheap last month. I'd send you one but I already gave them all away. Same seller usually always has at least one set of four for sale.