Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie introduction and seeking some Tire/ motor input!

Default Newbie introduction and seeking some Tire/ motor input!

Hey guys, what better time to join the zone then the day after I haul one home. I just picked up a nice clean running truck and am looking forward to a nice little toy. I'm located in Stratford, CT although I'm fairly certain the rig will eventually live at another place of mine in upstate NY. Like everyone, eventually I have big dreams for this thing...4bt conversion, axle swaps, big wheels.. this and that. I'm pretty certain that's going to be farther down the road unless I hit the lottery. So, let me tell you what I'd like it to do, and I'd appreciate any advice and ideas.
    Realistically, this will not be any kind of off roading rig...I just have too many hobbies to get into rock crawling or anything. Sure, it'll see some dirt and trails...but nothing my regular pickup couldn't handle. It will be mostly staying on pavement.
    I think the truck was listed up here, so I'm sure some of you had seen it. It was the one in Massachusetts with a plow. (I would consider selling the plow if anyones interested_
    The motor runs well...although its been sitting a while and I definitely need to drain and replace the old gas, and some other maintenance items. I'm not looking for more "power" necessarily. One of my main priorities is for it to be drivable around at 60mph. I don't need any more than that, and wont be driving it super long distances, but I don't want to be getting run off the road when heading into town. I need tires....bad....they are wasted. I wouldn't mind putting on a used set for now. I'd be curious if I could run a little bigger of a tire to get a little more top speed out of it. Any size/ type suggestions on what I could run without breaking the bank? Maybe I could find a decent used set on ebay perhaps? I don't care about looking original or anything, but I would just like it to be drivable. It's got the 9.0-16's on there now. I'm not sure what I could expect for a top speed with them on there...but I've heard not to expect much.
    ON another note, with the truck purchase, I also got a bellhousing and adapter/accessories to adapt to the T98 for small block chevy. Makes me wonder if I should go pick up a cheap junkyard 350 and throw it in for now...or do I drive it as is. Someday....it will have a cummins....end of conversation, but the funds are not in the cards currently.
    I have no cab heat currently....and will need to figure something out for the cold mornings. Do I plumb a little heater core in there somewhere and call it a day? What are others doing?

I really appreciate any input you guys would have. Looking to get my brain churning here with what I'd like to to with it. Anyone else local to CT? Thanks! -Pat

with stock gearing and tires the top speed will be 55-60. The 230 doesn't have a lot of power so you are going to lose speed on long inclines.

I have found the 230 to be pretty reliable motor for my ranch truck. Converting to a 350 without changing gear ratio's won't get you any more top-end speed. Just better at maintaining speed. I have the stock truck to start right up after sitting for weeks/months.

Going to 1100-16 tires will get you to 60 mph easily.

I would find some Michelin 1100-16 XL or XZL tires or go with a 900-16 STA super-lug tire. I wouldn't go with NDT's for a truck that gets driven on-road frequently.

I wouldn't worry about getting rear-ended while driving. The other guy driving the prius will suffer all the damage. The M715 will motor on. (My F250 was backed into my M715 and the F250 rear bumper was mangled. Couldn't tell where the M715 was hit.)

I guess once I get it all squared away in a few days I'll just have to drive it at speed and see what its like. I dont care about losing the top end so much on inclines....so long as I can generally keep around a 55-60 average. I have an old 64 mci bus with a detroit that hates hills...so I'm used to that! I'm really not familiar with the way these tires are sized. I'm used to my pickup being a 305-70 r 16 or whatever...so what does an 1100-16 mean to me? Would be nice to stuff the biggest ones that will fit in there if I could. Is there anything that would work that I could find at a local tire shop?

Angry

AN 11.00-16 tire is roughly the same as 38.5. the stock 9.00-16 is roughly a 35 in. tire
    a 38.5 is about the biggest to fit without rubbing and without a lift.

go to the top of the page and research basic training also there are posts in the archives that will help you.
    hope you have lotsa gas money to cover the 6-7 mpg these get in stock form. 28 gallon tank and optimistic range of 225 miles according to the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post

I would find some Michelin 1100-16 XL or XZL tires
    Sadly these have gone almost extinct.

Quote Originally Posted by Generallee01 View Post
    . Anyone else local to CT? Thanks! -Pat
    Quite a few of us in CT. Welcome

Welcome to the Zone Pat! Like Mikel said, there are at least a few of us throughout the state. The 38ish tires look nice stock and will give you the best/cheapest overdrive. I have a set of the Michelins on one of my trucks and they are great. You would have to look at military surplus places typically,there is one outside of Binghamton that advertises tires, but I am not sure there is much in 16" anymore. I have a set of 15" wheels that I will not be using that you could put "normal" tires on..You could also have a set of HMMV wheels recentered to run 16.5 wheels and tires....Alot of options, ask questions, post pictures, and enjoy!
    Is that real money?

Welcome to the zone, post up some pictures when you get a chance
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

And "Hello" from me as well, Pat. Welcome to the M715 Zone where you will fine just about anything you need to know.

Default PIcs for tire size reference?

Thanks for the responses guys, anyone have any quick pics to post with thier tire sizes? I'm not doing a lift right now whatever I can fit on the truck, and on the stock rim...need tires STAT! I'd be tempted to cheese out and get the cheapest set I could....but I suppose I should get something I'd be happy with and spend a few more bucks. Thanks! -P