Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AMC 4.2 engine conversion

Default AMC 4.2 engine conversion

I was wondering if anyone has installed a 4.2 (258) engine in their M715. I have a 258 engine that was built by Clifford Racing that puts out 330 hp and 420 ft lbs of torque. I think it should be a bit of an improvement over the stock 230 engine. I need to find out if the motor mount brackets that are welded to the M715 frame will work with the AMC motor.

hooking it to the trans is going to be the hard part

Actually, I'm installing a 700R4 automatic trans, a Black Box gear reduction unit and a Dana 300 transfer case that I put 32 spine output shafts into and a disc e-brake on the back of. I already have my adapters for everything.

Yes. you can find out whats been installed under the hood in Modified archives it has a list.

Had a CJ5 back in 1980 with a Clifford 258, loved it. everybody thought it was a V8 til I popped the hood.

The 258 is a real workhorse, I think it would be a good combo.

Are you in the city or suburbs? There are two other members in the area as well. One on the south side, one in Mt Prospect
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Maybe Novak could tell you if they have an adapter mount?
    Is that real money?

What kind of power/torque curve does that engine have?

I seem to remember one of the editors of jp installing a 4.0 in a j truck some years ago and it working well. I'm sure it would be a great setup with the stock 715 gears though an overdrive would be nice.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    67 M715, 67 M416, 91 YJ

Thanks. I went through all of the Modified Archive headings and didn't indo any that pertained to that engine swap. I'll go back over them and start reading them. When you had your Clifford, was it carbureted or did you put their Weber fuel injection on it? I've got the injection and I'm really looking forward to running it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flingarrows View Post
    The 258 is a real workhorse, I think it would be a good combo.

Are you in the city or suburbs? There are two other members in the area as well. One on the south side, one in Mt Prospect
    I live on the very south side of Chicago, about seven blocks from the city lim its.