Thread: Rear Leaf Spring Bushing - Acceptable Play?

Default Rear Leaf Spring Bushing - Acceptable Play?

Alright guys....

I'm sure few of you have had your rear axle dropped and frame supported to actually "wiggle" the rear leaf springs.

But.... I'm not quite sure if this play is normal... or not.

If I grab the leaf spring back bolt (where the axle u-bolt/perch mounts) I can push it toward the shock absorber or pull it towards me (out of the screen) a fair amount.

(maybe 1/2-3/4" in each direction)

What is "acceptable" in this metal bushing...

67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

mark spring for left and right side ,front n back then completely remove it. mike the spring mount and i.d . of spring bushing. 1/16" is good to go more than this and I,d get new bushings from Memphis or vpw. your local machine shop can reproduce those bushings out of oil impregnated bronze also.

Quote Originally Posted by md1970 View Post
    your local machine shop can reproduce those bushings out of oil impregnated bronze also.
    We stock this at work by 20' lengths... I'm tempted to just do this now while its all apart.

I was just curious if being able to push/pull the leaf pack 1" is actually near a 1/16" on bushing wear.
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

best to measure I..d and o.d. it don't lie. while you at it make sure grease passage is cleaned out.

Quote Originally Posted by md1970 View Post
    best to measure I..d and o.d. it don't lie. while you at it make sure grease passage is cleaned out.
    I agree with MD.
    With the leaf springs are hanging free, it would be so easy to remove them to measure.
    And, this is the perfect time to clean any hardened grease from the passages.
    I think you will find them worn pretty bad.

yep, everybodys a fraid of a grease gun. I grease mine every 1k with amsoil polymetric grease. more often if I went off road

All that bronze just hanging out, maybe you should start selling them?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk