Thread: Front Axle Removal Process

Default Front Axle Removal Process

Alright guys,

Did a little bit of staring / beer investigation last night in preparing to swap out my OEM dana 60 for a modern Kingpin Ford Dana 60.

What is the easiest way to remove the front axle?

My thoughts were to simply support the frame, undo the front leaf spring bushing bolt.... and roll the axle out the front.

Thoughts?

I have already broken free the u-joint bolts and steering linkage.
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

For jobs like that, I invite over several buddies for bbq and beer. While I am taking care of the bbq, they get to work. And Voila! Next thing you know the axle is removed and I didn't even get grease under my nails.

Just gotta think outside the case of beer.

As one of those Kwai has invited over. His method does keep him from getting very dirty.

Do you have new front leaf spring bushings? Those are a known wear point that should probably be replaced. Something to think about since you will have the bolts out anyway.

Yes, your idea sounds like it will work. Don't forget the brake hoses though.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

The brake lines are 50 years old. Just cut the brake lines and replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    The brake lines are 50 years old. Just cut the brake lines and replace them.
    Its getting an axle swap, cummins, hydroboost, PS, and disc brakes in all 4 corners.... brake lines are DEFINITELY on the "to-do" list"

aka there gone
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

beer and anything equals disaster just like dope . do one or the other. use the brain GOD gave you is my opinion. all else equals rookies and poor judgement.