Thread: converting to a 12 volt system

Default converting to a 12 volt system

looked to see if anyone has converted over to a 12 volt system plugs points and the rest what did you use ,just doing this while its under resto

looking for 12 volt spark plugs 12volt spark plug wire set 12volt points and condenser rotor and cap anyone one have any info ,I had all this info back in the 80`s but seem to miss place it all thanks for any help

plugs, wires and points are the same 12 or 24 volt. but coil and condenser are different. theres no 12 volt coil available for the military dist I know of. my suggestion would be to convert engine to cilivillian distributor and related components. starter will work just spin a tad slower. all light bulbs will need to be changed, all gauges that are electric will need to be swaped out. if your signal flasher unit is solid state it will also work on 12 volt. hope this helps
    M

this was converted years ago by the city of Lorain Ohio ,having a hard time trying to find replacement parts ,plugs are no problem ,dist.cap ,rotor and the points a problem ,cant find anyone who sells plug wire on the roll to make them. the distributor I `m trying to ID it has spring clips to hold it on not the screws like most have . I am bringing this out of storage to start a resto on ,so I thought I would give it a tune up .

you can convert a 6 cyl chevy dist to use in these engines too. napa sells u-fab plug wires.