Thread: Advice on buying an M715

Default Advice on buying an M715

Hello everyone,
    I just stumbled across this site recently by viewing a few threads on SteelSoldiers. I live in Virginia and have been interested in owning an M715 for years--coolest lines of all time in my opinion. I have been looking around on Ebay and Craigslist for a while and am hoping you can all give me an idea of what one should realistically pay for one of these trucks. I know that everything is only worth what someone is willing to pay, but I came across this buying guide that is 5 years old. Can you all weigh in as to whether this sounds right or have the values gone up or down since then. I realize there are many factors that can change the value more so than these vague descriptions, but I just don't want the mistake of thinking I have found a solid truck for a good price only to find out later I paid double what I should have.

Here is the guide from military trader:
    Condition code Value (dollars)
    6 1,100
    5 2,500
    4 3,750
    3 6,500
    2 9,500
    1 11,000

Scarcity: 2

Military Vehicles

Magazine uses a given a value based on a 1-to-6 condition grading scale as follows:

1=Excellent: Restored to maximum professional standards, or a near-perfect original.

2=Fine: Well-restored, or a combination of superior restoration and excellent original parts.

3=Very Good: Complete and operable original or older restoration, or a very good amateur restoration with all presentable and serviceable parts inside and out.

4=Good: Functional or needing only minor work to be functional. Also, a deteriorated restoration or poor amateur restoration.

5=Restorable: Needs complete restoration of body, chassis, and interior. May or may not be running, but is not wrecked, weathered or stripped to the point of being useful only for parts.

6=Parts Vehicle: Deteriorated beyond the point of restoration.

- See more at: http://www.militarytrader.com/milita....QX4y8yaD.dpuf

don't believe the magazine.............. nice trucks hardly ever will go for 11k but rather up towards 16k. what are you going to do with this ? you don't want nice if your gonna work it. a 2-4k truck that is pretty nice is buy far the best route but if you want a parade queen it will cost you. shop around,watch ebay,these for sale forums. theres always some for sale. do your homework. don't get impatient............
    m

It looks like a good starting point, but I am with MD1970, real nice trucks are bringing in more $$$

In the classifieds here, a member just bought a 715 or two that were listed as parts trucks for $900 and change.

I would say that a nice truck, in the middle of that scale would be around 3500-5500. I guess that is my opinion, others can chime in as well.

Good luck with your search!
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Default thank you

Thanks guys for the advice. I had a feeling that they were worth more than this suggested. I have seen some really bad ones listed for quite a few grand and then some top end versions as well, but not nearly as many in that middle ground to get a good sense of the price as it is often hard to find out what they really ended up selling for versus the asking price.

Rust, rust, rust. Mechanicals are much easy to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    Rust, rust, rust. Mechanicals are much easy to fix.
    If you are lucky enough to find one that is in running condition and was stored indoors as a fire truck most of it's life. Expect $4,000-$5,000 range.
    Mine met that criteria, and I felt fortunate to get it for $4,500 back in 2012.