Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fording kit

Default Fording kit

Hello all! Got my m-715 last month on eBay. Can't wait to get home from Afghanistan to drive it!!!! I've had my wife send me about 50 pictures of the truck. So far the only bad thing is the floor pans. That's not a big deal. Finding parts seems to be the biggest deal. I saw the parts houses listed on the home page. My question to everyone is which company has everyone had the most luck with. If I can order everything from one place I could build that parts guy relationship and look no more. I need floor pans. I also NEED a fording kit!!!! I hope to hear from y'all soon. I'm out of San Antonio Texas so maybe I can see all on the road somewhere.

Ross

I find most of my parts on Ebay. If that doesn't work then I start hunting for civilian equivalent parts at the local part store or junk yard (look for some discussion threads on this site for hints on civy part numbers). If that doesn't work then I start hunting the professional military part dealers.

vintage power wagons in iowa or Memphis equipment in tn. be safe over there

I get lots of parts from Memphis Equipment. Canvas from Beechwood Canvas
    68 M715
    Hey, what's this do?

When it comes time to mount the fording kit, the directions on this site were invaluable.
    Got mine at.
    Ed York ~ Parts Sales
    (901)774-0600 ~ jyork@memphisequipment.com

I hope you plan on rebuilding that 40 year old wire harness before attempting to ford any rivers! Or be sure to post it on youtube if you try! lol.

Having redone 1/3 of the harness, I'd suggest using XHHW and not THHN as the former is more flexible over time. Also is a great opportunity to upgrade to blade fuses using a marine block.

Floor pans you'll have to fab. Wiring isn't that hard if you understand electrical principles.
    Most any info you could need is on the Zone. Wiring diagrams to engine changes to brakes; if you can think of it someone has done it and posted it.
    EBAY, Memphis Equipment, Vintage Power Wagon etc. I don't think there is a one stop shop for these trucks. I go to salvage yards and swap meets and shop online.
    The guy talking about wiring is right. If you're going to update the wiring and plan on Fording go with marine block. You can find the connectors online here and there that are used on this truck. I think they are Packard type and not Douglas.
    Good luck with your build and congrats on getting one of these. They are super tough and can either pull a tree down or climb up it. Keep your head down and watch your 6. Godspeed and protection and thanks Brother!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
    Brickfist
    67 M724 68 M715

Thanks to everyone for all the info and well wishes. That's the best thing about car guys. Real Americans! I called VPW and and they had the complete kit!!!!! I hadn't thought about the wiring harness so thanks again. That would have been a hell of an experience! I can't say again how nice it is to have everyone's experience and help. I was planning on doing an LED conversion with some newer military lights. I'm also going to install a warn 18,000 lb winch! ya it might be a little overkill but have it so might as well use it! Take care and see ya next time

Post some pics of your truck when you can. Keep safe and Godspeed home soon.
    68 M715
    Hey, what's this do?