Thread: 24v vs 12 v

Default 24v vs 12 v

I've been doing a lot of reading of threads on this forum. A lot of people have switched to 12 v systems. Sure some have performed motor swaps and that could explain it. I've been wondering a couple of things. First is why did/does the military require/prefer 24v to 12v? Makes sense for a diesel where cranking amps are concerned. Second question is why do most "civilians" prefer 12v? I hope some of you can break this down for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Civilian cars converted to 12V around 1955. The conversion was primarily driven by the higher horsepower/higher compression motors needed more power to start. 6V just didn't have enough power, especially when the engine was hot.

For military, 24V was needed to start the large gas/diesel engines (early 2.5 and 5-ton trucks used gas engines) in big trucks, etc. Therefore 24V became the standard for commonality of bulbs, alternators, connectors, etc.

So why not keep 24v

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by moose6174 View Post
    So why not keep 24v

Cost, availability and selection of replacement parts imo.
    "I can fly...I'm a pilot."
    - Independence Day

Unless it's the stock motor or a cucv motor is more likely to be setup for 12V. It's also easier to source 12V coils and plugs.

I keep all my stock trucks 24V. My SBC truck is 12V because that's what the SBC came with.

Makes sense. Thanks guys

The Military standardized with the M series vehicles to 24V, for above mentioned reasons, plus with the inter vehicle plug/cord combo, you can jump start a tank/fighter plane/Generator set, no questions asked. Also Military Radios operate on 24V as well..... Most heavy construction equipment runs 24V, operators really struggle with this, in my many years as a Feild mechanic I cannot begin to count the burned up jumper cables and blown up batteries due to the confusion of jumping multiple battery 24V systems by people who do not get it, LOL.