Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dash Concept Thoughts?

Default Dash Concept Thoughts?

In the process....

Might switch the gauges back to black.... gold glow from speedhut...

Original...

In 3D Solidworks CAD

@venominjected Don't know if it's my computer, but the second pic isn't showing.

Now ?

I like it. I like black gauges, but that's just me.

Really like the layout and the rotary knobs. Looks better than the cheap toggles I have. And even though I like the tach right in front of me, having it in the dash instead of on the column looks better.

I can't read what your first 2 toggles on top are for.

Mine is still in progress... forever and always..

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    I like it. I like black gauges, but that's just me.

Really like the layout and the rotary knobs. Looks better than the cheap toggles I have. And even though I like the tach right in front of me, having it in the dash instead of on the column looks better.

I can't read what your first 2 toggles on top are for.

The key on the bottom is the main... only for convenient anti-theft "at the grocery store" purposes only.

The T-pull handle is a hand throttle... I'll be cabling up the Cummins to allow a 0-10% throttle increase via hand cable in addition to the gas pedal cable.

The Ignition bottom rotary is Off-Run-Momentary Start
    The Lights middle rotary is Off-Park-On
    The Winch top rotary is Off...momentary Out... or momentary In

Top Toggles are
    DRL (Daytime Running Lights)
    Aux 1 (havent decided)
    Spot (will be a converted blackout light LED spot light on the hood)

Guages are

Fuel, volts, EGT, Boost, Water Temp, Oil Press... along with Speedo and Tach on the largers

All panels will be 16 ga sheetmetal waterjeted... all lettering will be .015" deep engraved via CNC... and all mounted will be done via weldstud.. so no exterior mounting hardware will be seen from the front face.

I'll be trialing the black gauges next.... the top toggle switch panel is meant for future additions.. and I also need to add in a 1/8" headphone jack to allow MP3/Cellphone (if I don't do bluetooth interface) radio driven ability... along with probably a USB port for phone charging.

Will also be adding to turn dial knobs..... one for gauge backlighting, another for volume. (I'll be having a fully hidden radio... speakers up underneath the grill and only via bluetooth smartphone radio/online radio/memory stick music.

Trying to make it military as possible but throw as many hidden conveineces to make it truly daily driver sustainable.

The cummins noise, soft top, and tires will probably wash that out... but still have to try yes?

More to come as I keep at it.

Wow, nice! You nailed the utilitarian look.

What are you going to do with the panel edges- get them bead-rolled like stock ones? Or is the 16ga thick enough without?

Quote Originally Posted by Subybaja View Post
    Wow, nice! You nailed the utilitarian look.

What are you going to do with the panel edges- get them bead-rolled like stock ones? Or is the 16ga thick enough without?

Will be doing some test samples.... the work I do I don't have access nor do we have one in-house at work (a bead roller) to add it in...

I am going to do a few test samples of 16G vs 11G sheetmetal regarding engraving and how it 'stands off' from the dash face and go from there.

All panels being lasered out anyways.... might simply just turn to 11 gauge to make it stand out from the m715 main dash.

Looks nice. Have you thought about keeping the black back plate while changing to the gold-ish gauges? I think that might look unique.

I'll be trying a whole bunch of concepts.... thats the nice part of doing 3D design... colors, appearances, designs etc are *free* to try.

Next will be machining down a .030 deep "frame edge" along all the panel edges... we'll see if this will give contrast similar to the effect of the bead rolled edges.

Changed to black... added more aux features...

Front and Rear Flood Lights etc...