Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M-715 Oral History

Default M-715 Oral History

Howdy all, I haven't been on here for some time. I haven't had too much time or interest for my trucks in a while for various reasons. I had an experience last weekend that I thought was pretty cool though.

I live in a small town in Texas, Caldwell, population about 4K. I have three M-715: one original truck I've owned and been building for 23 years, two that I bought from a local VFD several years ago. Of those two, one was easily fixed and my son drove it to high school and it has been to several MV events, the other is a parts truck that has been mostly dismantled.

Last weekend, my father in law among others was being honored at the local Masonic lodge for his 50 years as a Mason. The ceremony was open to friends and family so my wife, daughter, and I attended. I was particularly impressed as there were members being honored for 55, 60, and even 70 years as Masons. We have lived in Caldwell for 15 years, my wife grew up here as did my kids. I have always commuted and worked in the nearby larger cities, so I comparatively don't know anyone here.

One of the Masons was a former local Constable and I knew of him but didn't know him personally. My wife introduced him to me, evidently he had heard that I owned the two fire trucks. He turned out to have the history that many of us have speculated about regarding the "Texas Spec" M-715s. He asked about my truck and mentioned that there was another and was pleased to learn that I had both of them. The story according to him is this: In the late '70s, the Texas Forest Service had a large supply of M-715s they had received from DoD. They had identified 1400 communities in Texas that were large enough to justify having a Fire Department but did not currently have one. They arranged to make fire trucks out of the M-715s. They sent them to the Texas Department of Corrections where they had hard tops fabricated and installed and where they were painted white. They were then sent to a vendor in West, TX where slide-in fire pump units and emergency lights were installed. They were to be given to rural fire departments for $3500, essentially the cost of the pump equipment from the outside vendor. The idea was that communities would organize fire departments if they could get affordable apparatus. The concept worked, and a list was made where communities applied for the trucks. As trucks were completed, they were distributed first-come first-served on the list. Deanville Texas (current population 50 plus surrounding area) had decided to organize a fire department and had applied for a truck. The Forest Service contacted them that their truck was ready before they had raised the $3500 however rather than lose their place in line, they scrambled to raise the money and were successful. They took delivery of their truck in 1978, with Caldwell also receiving one around the same time. Both trucks served their respective departments, and both of them eventually went to the nearby Chriesmann Fire Department and finally to the Cade Lake Fire Department from whom I purchased them.

I'm glad to get confirmation of how all of these fire trucks came to be as we've long suspected. I'm even more blown away to know the history of my specific trucks from 35 years ago. The gentleman I spoke to says he has a photo of the members of the new department with the truck when it was delivered. I hope to get a copy of if from him and I'll post it here if I ever do. Now I know how they came to be and specifically where my trucks came from.

Interesting.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Great post...it isnt that often we get the story of such things...thanks for digging it out and posting it for us!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

That's a really cool story. It would be great to find the history and get pictures of your truck.

I wonder whatever happened to the two trucks that I drove whilst I was in the army?

That is really cool Clint. Especially the part about TDCJ doing the hard tops.

I wonder if them or the company in West got all the tailgates?
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I wonder if them or the company in West got all the tailgates?
    That's exactly what I was thinking. who got all the tailgates. That must have been one heckuva pile.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking. who got all the tailgates. That must have been one heckuva pile.
    They were made into coffee tables...

I'd love to know where mines been...

We all knew the texas fire trucks were a special deal just didn't know the story behind it. The trucks are recognizable because they all have sheet metal rivetted to the top frame and have had all the tie-down loops on the bedsides shaved smooth and tailgate is missing along with the tailgate hook mounts. I have seen at least a dozen trucks with the same mods.

On the way home from work today I was musing about this and thought about the tailgates too. The Texas Forest Service has a yard full of old MVs, parts, etc. in Nacogdoches--I've seen it but not explored it. Maybe the tailgates are there, if not they were probably scrapped. I did imagine stomping through a chigger-infested brush pile in East Texas and discovering the mother-lode of M-715 tailgates, then getting rich selling the treasure here... sigh.