Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NSFW ALERT - RANT: Hiring "friends" for restoration work

Default NSFW ALERT - RANT: Hiring "friends" for restoration work

OK - here's why I need to be tied to the backyard pear tree tonight. Last week I was told War Pig's sheet metal was complete and painted and would be ready for delivery tomorrow...Well I dropped by the shop unannounced today to inspect everything. Guess fning what? Not only is everything not ready for delivery, it's not EVEN F'N PRIMED!!!! There is still F'N BODY WORK TO DO!!!! 4 F'ING "MONTHS! I've been lied to multiple times now. That's what happens when you farm out work to friends to keep the money flow within to help. The more I think about it, the more ed off I get. I'm done with helping friends out. I must have a sign on my a-hole that says "F**k me hard please". Just 1 of a long list of "anal intrusions" by friends lately in my life.
    Even Chuck Norris drove a 715.

Not unlike our experience with my cousin's '06 Mustang taken to the dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by David Zelinski View Post
    OK - here's why I need to be tied to the backyard pear tree tonight. Last week I was told War Pig's sheet metal was complete and painted and would be ready for delivery tomorrow...Well I dropped by the shop unannounced today to inspect everything. Guess fning what? Not only is everything not ready for delivery, it's not EVEN F'N PRIMED!!!! There is still F'N BODY WORK TO DO!!!! 4 F'ING "MONTHS! I've been lied to multiple times now. That's what happens when you farm out work to friends to keep the money flow within to help. The more I think about it, the more ed off I get. I'm done with helping friends out. I must have a sign on my a-hole that says "F**k me hard please". Just 1 of a long list of "anal intrusions" by friends lately in my life.
    Sadly you are very correct. Why is it that the people we are closest to and try to help are always the first ones to screw us over??? But don't give up on your friends. TRUE friends are there when you need them and will never screw you over. The ones who do were never really your friends. Only friends for their own convenience and benefit. And once learning this painful lesson, we are better off without.
    68 M715
    Hey, what's this do?

bottom line if you want it done and cheap with good work you,ll get it when its done. these kind of jobs are done when the high paying jobs arnt in. like a old sargent told us lifes like that deal with it. be glad your friend is doing it because a job shop don't care and will do just enough to get it out the door and get your money................
    m

I had exactly the same problem with my first truck. It was then I decided to learn how to paint for myself.
    It worked out for the best in the end, I now do all my body/prep/paintwork right in my own garage.
    It did put a dent in my friendship, but that guy was a little flakey to start with.

I'm not being stupid or joking ... but what does NSFW mean?

Friends:

They dont respect the Monetary exchange. You OWE them for being Your Friend and "helping You out".

Boundaries:
    Friends that work for You dont respect Your Boundaries, between what is a business relationship and what is Your Private Personal Life.
    The Two intermingle, causing a complete breakdown of Authority and Command and control.

Wasted time:

Friends want to BS with You and talk about Drama in their Lives or things that dont relate to the PAID job at hand.... Causing distractions where You cant think about the next right step for the Job ( paid ) and at the same time NO WORK is getting done on the PAID Project.

Appreciation:

The Money You are paying for the Job is not appreciated to its full Dollar Worth.
    Your friends think that they are "cutting You a deal" and therefore are never working at their "full paid potential" and taking YOUR Job serious. Another excuse to screw off and BS about the weather. "You wont fire them or yell at them... They are your friend."

Holding that Friend Card over Your Head... once again, You just lost control of the Job productions and having it done YOUR WAY.

I could go on about this, and provide more examples, but lets move ahead...

Lets add FAMILY to this equation as well while we are at it
    Been there done that. Its the exact same thing.

So where are we on this?
    How Do You fix it

The First and obvious answer is... Dont Hire Your Friends, and pay the "premium" and get the Job done right, and first, and Your Way, to Your Satisfaction. No Questions asked.

It does not cost that much more "in cash", but will save you time and frustration.
    ALSO this allows you the "Right to BEECH ", and get what you want by demanding it, in a nice , professional tone.
    You cant do that with Your Friends.

You also have 'reserved the right' of Legal action,( or just the known psychological threat of it ) should something get screwed up.
    Cant do that with friends or family.

Its a huge Motivator, that immediately dissolves with "Friends" and does not even need to be spoken.

In the long run , its faster and cheaper to hire a stranger.

Now... Hiring Friends...
    Cant stop that completely.... Its just how it is...
    So How do You deal with them on a JOB? But still remain Friends?

Well, thats YOUR JOB to set the Boundaries and the TONE while working during business hours.
    Your discipline is what sets the stage.

Its easy to fall into yuck yuck talk BS talk with a Friend,so its harder than it sounds... to do the above. But it is the KEY.

Gotta Cut out the BS and Distractions and stay on point and in the Lead.

The second thing is...
    WAIT long periods of Time between Jobs that You hire out to friends.

It seems to have an effect " the next time" they come to work for you, that You are not BS'ing, You want to get the Job done, and you want it done fast and will PAY FAST in Cash when its done.
    Also, they were hungry in the interim, and might have a bit more respect for the opportunity to make some cash.

Sooner or Later, they will realize that YOU are "on a mission"
    and they can help with that mission, or be left in the bush.

The last thing is...

Lunch and Beer Breaks.

Taking Lunch TO THEM, while they are working... is a very Good thing.
    Brown Bag Special, Delivered to the Jobsite. Works Wonders.

No Beer until after 5:00, then YOU buy the Beer.

After 5:00, STOP being in WORK MODE, and then return to the Friend relationship.

Celebrate a good job done, share the good feelings of seeing something completed or in progress, to a superb degree,
    Celebrate that, Give accolades and Buy a few Drinks or a Steak Dinner.

It all sounds stupid and simple....

But the Bottom line is YOU set the tone and the Pace for the Job...
    And its really easy to slip into BS buddy deer hunter fishing go cart stories, while trying to work...
    And the work and pace immediately suffers.

Just my observations.

All that said, I have accomplished things with friends helping that i NEVER wouldhave got done myself., or died doing it.
    Last edited by Blitz; August 13th, 2015 at 12:47 PM.
    hostis est intra portas tuas

NSFW - Not Safe For Work

Now stop goofing off on the computer and get back to work.

Lol...

Where were You, My Real Friend, at 4:00 am ?

It's 24/7, 365 1/2 around here Man.

Last edited by Blitz; August 13th, 2015 at 01:06 PM.
    hostis est intra portas tuas

4:00 AM?

I was up letting the dog out to go bark at the world. Or maybe a possum...
    Don't really know for sure.

Sorry about your frustration and anger Dave.

Don't know if you got a "friend discount" or not.
    If so, md1970 is right about top rate jobs being first ,while your job collects dust.

But, he should have been straight up with you and not lie.
    As a friend, he might have been embarrassed about not getting things done when promised.

Hope to see more progress soon. We need pictures!