Thread: Next step-part II

Default Next step-part II

So, once again, here's where I stand on my truck issue. Fixed fuel pump and checked fuel lines and filters. After I got it all back together, I used only the cranking of the motor to test out whether or not my pump repair was working. It pulled fuel from the tank, through the empty lines and through both filters and into the carburator. At this point though, all I'm getting is a few back fires through the carb, and sounding like she wants to pop off, but no luck getting her started. This is so strange because the truck never did this before. I found the loose outlet valve in the pump and was sure this was the fix. Now I don't have a fuel delivery problem, just can't get the truck to fire and run. Spitting, backfiring, and popping is all I get. Any thoughts?
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I was very careful about my plug wires and rotor installation. Never disconnected the plug wires from the ignitor cap. Is their any possibility I could have switched the wires on the poles of the new coil? If the wires were accidently connected backwards, what would be the result? I don't think I did this, but I can't think of any other reason for the backfiring and popping back through the carb.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

If you look at this pic it shows thar black wire from inside distrib go to top post on coil. also check the little cam follower on the back side of the points to see if its there. It only takes 20 minutes to install pertronix. its worth it.

distrib wire replacement post

the black wire connected to the red wire is the wire from ignition to distrib.

you can see the connection on the lower left of picture.

My wire is broken. that's what happened this morning, and it doesn`t even pop.

hope this helps some

Potts. in this pic the Black wire from the red wire runs down into the second hole. !st hole is vacuum line small hole. 2nd is big hole. that's where the power from ignition hits a capasitor and comes out in a black wire to the coil to give it power. otherwise where is coil getting Juice??

notice no wire coming out of hole?? it broke off at bottom

It appears you'll have to trace back the wire and maybe butt connect a new wire to it, feed it through and put a new connector on the end that mounts to coil. Does that sounds feasible? If not, I'm not sure what your next move should be. Keep us informed. Good luck

As for my problems, I may, (and I say may) have located the problem. I stated above that I was very careful about reconnecting my plug wires, but upon further observation I saw that I reversed #5 and #6 plug wires. Should the truck have started anyway, but ran horribly, or could this be the cause of the back fires and not being able to start the truck? I will reconnect them the right way tomorrow and hope that does the trick. As I said above, I fixed the fuel pump and I'm now getting gas to the carb, just won't fire up and run.

I would check the gap on the points just to make sure. Mine quit on me this year and I over looked it and the problem was the cam follower was worn down and not opening the points all the way.