Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FORREST on the run.....

Default FORREST on the run.....

I need electrical help.

all gauges quit and I thought I blew up motor. BUT, the jumper cable between the 2 Batts had its copper sleeve against the Batt Box. now since this is before the Stomp Switch will it cause starter to be SLOW. and gauges to FAIL?????? yep. run Forrest, RUN

You may just need to re-charge your batteries to solve the slow cranking.

If the batteries were discharged too deeply they could have been damaged and you could need to replace them. If you recharge them and they still crank slow I would remove them from the truck and bring them to the auto supply store and have them load tested.

I would solve one problem at a time. When you are troubleshooting something you usually have to eliminate things one at a time.

Start with the low hanging fruit because it is easy to pick. Reading that you had a battery sizzle tells me to check the battery first. If the battery checks out okay then start looking deeper. I would then check my connections on both sides of the battery cables.

Report back and someone will usually be glad to assist.

got new batteries today. do I hook them up????

I will use jumper cables. if something goes wrong I can just rip them off.

dam that thing was runnin GOOD before this.

might as well at this point.

The jumper cable idea is a really good one.
    I think I would make "the interconnect" between the two batteries solid first, then use the jumper cables for the 24 v Pos and 24 v Neg.

Before all that though....I would take 10 or 20 minutes and do a pre flight visual inspection of every cable and wire that you can see or touch first...
    Just to flush out Murphy.

That interconnect shorting out on the battery box was probably lowering your voltage to the starter. ( And Possibly burning wires in the process from the lower voltage battery supply, with a very high amp draw from the starter. looking for 24 to 29 volts, and only getting 12 or so. )
    hostis est intra portas tuas

Nice looking 725 Jimmie. Very nice! One question though, why are the windows all steamed up? Did you just get back from the drive-in?
    Wow, that's a big gas filter. Reminds me of the ones you might find on a big rig, but they're mostly diesel aren't they?
    Once again, great looking truck. Ask questions here on the website and you'll get lots of helpful answers.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Gotta drive to Dallas today to pick up the little woman. so the truck will have to wait. Gonna be 102 degrees here today. I did crawl under it for a brief look last night, will do it again this evening when it starts to cool off.

Thanks for the help, Maybe it`ll run this evening.(hope, hope)

Potts- that pic was taken in the morning in early spring. dew

I just got that truck back in October. it was delivered while I was working in Mexico last year. I didn`t lay eyes on it until December when I got home.

Good come back Jimmie! "Early morning dew". Only kidding. My truck (as probably all trucks) run much better when it's cooler out. How the heck do you guys in Texas drive your trucks in 100 degree heat?
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

100 degrees is normal around here.
    We eat a lot of Ice cream, and just honestly 'move slower' from necessity.

They say 115 today, but the map shows an expected 107 in Dallas.

I swear by those 12 volt electric fans, made by PEAK at the auto parts stores.
    They make a huge difference for 14 bucks. Any Air moving to evaporate the sweat off your skin, drops the temp by at least 15 to 20 degrees.

To be honest MP, You get really efficient about Your time 'out in it'.
    Plan before You move, get it done, and get back to some sort of shelter., and even shade... you learn quickly to spot and move towards ANY shade.

You can push through it all day long for about 3 or 4 days. Non stop. MAybe 5 if You are younger and full of Vitamins and Vinegar.

Then You crash and burn for two, and sleep and recover, like a sloth

It sneaks up on You, if You Bull Rush through it. No Doubt... Several days "in" and the headaches start.. and its time to chill.
    That's Your first sign, other than sweating like a Hog and Birching about how freaking hot it is.

I'm really buying gatorade by the cases now. I think there are about 40 in the shop fridge ready to go and several in the freezer for carrying around.

The Horses dont seem to have a problem with it...

But the DOGS...
    really could be harmed physically , if left outside in it ...all day.

No Joke... the dogs have to come inside... or they would stroke out.

I just look at it all as a "Cleanse " or "Sweat Lodge" or free Steam room

Just cant find that Swedish Massage Gal around much anymore.
    Last edited by Blitz; August 7th, 2015 at 11:18 AM.
    hostis est intra portas tuas

OK. took the truck around the block yesterday and it ran good. til I got home. all of a sudden it started idling badly and died.

I thought maybe something else was wrong. so this morning I started it up again and it ran a moment and died. kept turning over, no pop

thought maybe my Pertronix was fried, but I found out why I t

[img\http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag259/JSyndergaard/007_zpslsbedjnv.jpg[/img]