Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: M715 Street Truck/Hauler

They both are 6 bolt PTO's. They should work together. I am still up in the air on the winch. I have a Braden LU4, it needs rebuilt though. The cost of a rebuild vs a new hydro or electric winch from military surplus is a toss up.

Very nice project and awesome photos too
    As for the PTO I would like to know if it will work or not...

Good luck,
    Jim

So progress has been slow…

Got the 6BT Cummins, Dodge NV4500 and Atlas II mocked up. There were some drivetrain clearance issues with the axles in the SUA set up. So I have cut off all the brackets and I am in the process of doing a SOA setup with shackle reversal.

I have been searching other M715 Cummins 6BT builds and looking at how people have mounted their radiators, intercoolers and fan as space gets tight in the front grill. I stumbled across the build by board member “FABRICATOR” back in 2012. I thought I would post it here instead of bringing up an old dead thread. Here’s the link to the original thread…

cummins m715 build

My question is in the build by “FABRICATOR” how was he able to use the stock mechanical fan without tucking the last cylinder into the firewall. I see that he moved the radiator forward into the core support and still went with a front mount intercooler. I just don’t see how this can be done with the limited space. I guess I am trying to find out which fan, radiator and intercooler he used. The pictures below I found on another website and are from the trucks new owner after “FABRICATOR” sold it.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I guess there is enough space if the radiator is moved further forward into the front balance. Myself, I'm not a fan of mechanical fans, so it was not a consideration anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mpdc6d View Post
    So progress has been slow…

Got the 6BT Cummins, Dodge NV4500 and Atlas II mocked up. There were some drivetrain clearance issues with the axles in the SUA set up. So I have cut off all the brackets and I am in the process of doing a SOA setup with shackle reversal.

What and where were the clearance issues?
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Quote Originally Posted by venominjected View Post
    What and where were the clearance issues?
    The pinion on the front axle is tucked up to high and the driveshaft hits the bell housing/adapter plate on the back of the motor. Its not even that it will hit but cant even be installed as it is.

Soooo.... one step forward two backwards.

I cut off all the spring under axle brackets that I had burned on just a few months ago.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I then took the plasma cutter and cut off all the leaf spring brackets from the frame and dressed up the rails.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

I am going to run flatter Chevy K30 heavy duty leafs.

Took the hole saw and cut the frame for the rear slugs and bushings. Then started mocking up the front crossmember for the hangers for the shackle reversal.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by mpdc6d; March 2nd, 2016 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Spelling

So I have been slowly working on things and not posting. I feel like I have gotten a lot done but still have a lot more to go. This will be one of two updates due to the amount of pictures.

Finished up the front axle and Chevy springs. I did box in and fishplate the front spring hanger. But don't have any photos of that.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Finished up the exhaust/down pipe. I went with 4” stainless steel. I also made some exhaust hangers.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the second update of two.

Finished the radiator, fans, and fan shroud.

Finished the intercooler and intercooler piping.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]