Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: M715 Street Truck/Hauler

Default M715 Street Truck/Hauler

So I brought my M715 home last week. It really sucks to drive as it is, but I knew this when I bought it. So I need to make it a more street/highway friendly. I have no plans of any real serious off roading. My plans are going to be a two stage build. From everything I read and seen my mixed bag of parts should work, but please let me know if they won't or you have tried the combination and it was not what you expected. I plan to drive the truck about a year between the two stages.

I am also looking for resources for these parts I have tracked down a few but always open to better deals and parts close to Maryland that I could pick up to avoid freight on some of the crazy heavy parts.

Stage 1:
    Axles, Wheels and Tires

CUCV M1028 Axles
    14B SOA
    D60 SUA

Rear Disk Brake Conversion
    HydroBoost

Stock Military H1 24 Bolt Wheels
    New H1 BFG Tires

Stage 2:
    Motor, Transmission and Transfercase

1994-1997 Cummins 6BT 12v P-Pump
    NV4500 Transmission
    ?????? Transfercase

Power steering conversion

That is similar to how my truck will be. Should be fun
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Unhappy

and such a nice looking truck,ajh

Similar to how mine will be.

Ford Dana 60/Sterling 10.25 in 4.10 ratio in SPRING UNDER configuration
    Hydroboost, Power Steering, and steering stabilizers.
    Quick Disconnect sway bar (not sure if I'm doing front or rear)
    Will pull leafs out after miles to get a bit more "soft travel"
    Cummins 6BT VE, Ford ZF S542 and Borg Warner 1356 case.

Quote Originally Posted by 68bluegreen View Post
    and such a nice looking truck,ajh

I would love to keep her stock. But parts are drying up and getting very expensive. I would also like to go above 45 MPH. Don't worry though I am not scrapping the stock equipment. It can all be put back to original.

your right about original parts are scarce and expensive.And right now getting up to 45mph would be fun,but boring. long term ,changing out the ring gear and parts to a usuable 4:50

Sweet truck just as she sits. You sound as though you have a vision and a plan to see it through. Good luck and keep us posted.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I would love to keep it stock and just drive it like it is but it just drives and runs soooo crudely. This is my first M715 or military vehicle so I have nothing to compare it to but, my 1951 Farmal Cub would have better street manners. I do understand that its a military truck and not a street truck. In its current state I don't feel that it is safe for road use (one 16 year old girl on her cell phone driving daddy's GMC and it could be a very bad experience).

Here is the short list:

The motor might just need a tune up but its hard to keep a good idle and will junk up the plugs if left at idle.

Dripping antifreeze from the bottom of the water pump.

The clutch is so heavy it feels likes its triple disk race clutch.

Touch the brakes and it pulls hard to the left (into on coming traffic).

Additionally stock parts are scarce and very expensive compared to junkyard or even some custom one off things.

I just found a local running and driving 1997 Dodge 2500, 4x4, Automatic, 5.9l Cummins 12v P-pump (w/250,00 miles) for $4,000. This would be my source for the motor and transmission. I could scrap the rest of the truck after I completed my swap and get a few hundred for that bring the cost down to $3,800-$3,700 for motor and trans.

All that leaves left Power Steering, the CUCV m1028 axles which are not getting any easier to find and Hummer Wheels and tires.

It is your truck to do with as you please.

However, I think a few weekends and a tune up might change your opinion of the truck. I daily drove my stock M715 for almost 2 years. Fired up at a touch of the starter, idled all day, kept up with traffic and did great up to about 45 mph and stopped straight and true.

The water pump will be the most expensive part. The clutch should not be that hard to push. You probably have a wheel cylinder frozen or just need to adjust the shoes on the brakes.

2008 we had a gathering of M715 trucks in Buena Vista, Colorado. I had a 396 big block in my truck by then with a NV4500 transmission. Binford brought his totally stock M715. We were camped at 8,000 feet. I messed with the jets on my carb and still had trouble above 9,500 feet. Above 11,000 feet the stock truck idled and ran perfect with no adjustements. Mine wouldn't idle and couldn't keep up with the stock truck.

A properly tuned and adjusted stock M715 is just about perfect carrying out its designed mission. Haul 1-1/4 tons of stuff on any surface up to about 45 mph. Asking the truck to do otherwise is outside of the design goals. Anything you do to the truck to make it better outside those parameters will take away from what the truck does best too. Just something to keep in mind.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    It is your truck to do with as you please.

However, I think a few weekends and a tune up might change your opinion of the truck.

A properly tuned and adjusted stock M715 is just about perfect carrying out its designed mission. Haul 1-1/4 tons of stuff on any surface up to about 45 mph. Asking the truck to do otherwise is outside of the design goals. Anything you do to the truck to make it better outside those parameters will take away from what the truck does best too. Just something to keep in mind.
    X2
    Wow, couldn't have said it any better.