Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New coil?

Default New coil?

As I posted earlier, one week ago I thought I ran my truck out of fuel. Put in new gas and she still wouldn't start. Had it flat bedded back to my garage, where I figured it was truly flooded because a helper poured way to much gas in the carb. I let it sit for a few days and took the time to change the oil. Tried to start it today and all she does is crank over and over. The truck ran fine up until last Friday when it was rather warm outside. Unfortunatly, I replaced the coil a few years back and had to use one of those coils from China, (chromed). Is it time to check or replace the coil again? What is the correct procedure to test the coil? I know it's on this site somewhere, but I just thought maybe I'd get some other answers by posting this question again. Thanks.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Just for the record, I did not leave my ignition switch in the on position. I'm very careful about that, and had Beast make up a sticker for my inside driver's door that reads."Make sure ignition switch is in the off position". I know leaving it on can fry the coil.
    Also, I've had a Pertronix ignition kit for a few years now that I never installed. Is it time to do it?
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Found it! last post on this thread.

No Fire?

At work, supposed to be cleaning up for an audit tomorrow and relieving other operators for breaks... so, yeah... I got time to search a little..

You might make sure it runs with a different coil first and then throw the pertronix in. Save some confusion later, if you change both at same time and it doesn't run then you don't know which part to cuss.

Oh yeah Von, the Pertronix was going to be installed at a later date for sure. I'm just wondering if the coil is the problem. I'm pretty sure it is though. Wondering where's the best place to order it from?

I just ordered a new coil from a place in Ohio called Barneys Jeep Parts. I had to ask the seller a few questions about an e-bay gift card my daughter gave me and he responded in less than 15 minutes. He seems like a real nice guy and someone whom I would like to deal with in the future. The downside is the coil is chrome and I know that's a bad sign.
    I did find on e-bay an original coil, points, and condenser, but they were in TURKEY! No way am I going to deal with someone that far away, plus with the Pertronix system I'll install, their's no reason for the extra parts. How does someone in Turkey come up with an original coil? Why not here in the U.S.?

When I still had the Tornado in mine I bought a valve cover gasket from the guy in Turkey. Took a little longer to get here but otherwise no problems.

A lot of the other guys have been dealing with the stock coil situation for a long time, maybe they can tell you if that guys coils are any good.

I too have purchased items for the guy in Turkey, the valve cover was one of them. It didn't take too long and I was pleased with the service. Shipping can be the deal breaker.

Check with the guy near Philadelphia who had the M715s for sale. I got mine from him and even though it was used, it was fine. I think there are more than one application for the same coil. We just to need which trucks etc.

Don't get the chrome one!

Here is the guy I got mine from:

http://www.easternsurplus.net/619.html

Echoing what Von said.

Hold off on the Petronix until the coil assumption is confirmed.

total bummer.

Didnt guys used to wind their own motors and windings... ?

Yes they did.
    Thanks Bob Brown.
    RIP.

I wonder what the big secret would be to wind a new coil, with an old timer that knows what he is doing and has the bench and winding reel.

I'm just really curious why all the chrome coils fail.

It seems like such a simple mechanical item, that not much could go wrong...

unless they are cheaping out on wire gauge in China.

Or the 5 year old assembling them could not solder that day, outside in the rain.

ERIK at Eastern Surplus has helped me out a few times as well, and he has some good prices on "other" weird military electrical items occasionally.
    Last edited by Blitz; July 26th, 2015 at 11:46 AM.
    hostis est intra portas tuas

I also would like to know why a coil from China just doesn't last. I already ordered mine from Barney's in Ohio. I'm pretty sure it's from China. I ordered it this morning about 9am, and I received an email from him that said it's been shipped? He sent me a personal email telling me about all his military vehicles and how he's been in the surplus parts business since 1970. To me that's a positive sign. I'll just have to hope for the best.
    At this point though, I'm only guessing it's the coil. I will test it this week. I may even take the old one to a friend that rebuilds alternators and generators for a living. Just maybe, he can test it and even take it apart and tell me why it stopped working. I'll keep everybody posted if I find out any info.