Those of you with BendersTechnical Forums » Open Discussion Archives » Those of you with Benders
http://m715zone.proboards102.com/index.cgi?board=openarchive&action=display&thread=1162251237

Those of you with Benders
Post by fisherman on Oct 30, 2006, 6:33pm

I am looking to buy a nice manual bender for doing future work. Namely a roll cage for My M-truck and up coming cj-6. Maybe some rock sliders, bumpers etc. Has anyone used these type of benders for exhaust tubing? My M-truck will be neading exhaust soon and if I can bend it up myself with a manual bender I'll buy one soon. For those of you who have one let me know if you have tried exhause tubing and what kind of bender do you have? Thanks Fisherman
Re: Those of you with Benders
Post by jeepistdougiowa on Oct 30, 2006, 9:33pm

Todd, I have a JD squared model 3...have yet to try it on exhaust but did recall reading that it is reccomened to be used with minimum .090 wall tube. Thinner tube can collapse easier...that said, with as smooth as it works, I'd be willing to bet it will perform fine, may just have the normal wrinkling you get with bending exhaust.
Post by fisherman on Oct 30, 2006, 9:44pm

Got any scrap exhaust tubing Doug, to maybe give it a go. That is the same bender I've been looking at. Just don't want to plop all that money into a bender right now unless I can do my own exhaust.
Post by jeepistdougiowa on Oct 30, 2006, 9:50pm

I have some tube, but the bender is a couple hours away on loan.

When do you need to know by? Might be a couple weeks before I can tell ya first hand.
Post by fisherman on Oct 30, 2006, 9:56pm

Two or four weeks away from needing one at least. I'll try to remember to drop you a PM in a few weeks to see if you got your bender back. Do you have 2" dies? Was thinking of going 2 inch back then into 3 inch. Muffler, and out 3 inch. Probably going to run a little larger single exhaust system, as I like a little back pressure in a truck.
Post by jeepistdougiowa on Oct 30, 2006, 10:00pm

Yeah, I have the 2" dies. It is a big investment, don't blame ya one bit for spending with caution...LOL
Post by fisherman on Oct 30, 2006, 10:04pm

I'd rather take the 5 to 6 hundred they want to do an exhaust and put it towards a good bender if it will bend the exhaust, and do it all myself. I know I'll use the bender when I get one.
Post by bluesman2a on Oct 30, 2006, 10:41pm

I've got the JD2 Model 3, I went full hydro conversion with it (built myself with parts found on Pirate). I've bent a lot of tube with it, and it's a good bender, I highly recommend them. You might also want to check out the ProTools 105.

I will also say this, it's hard to bend tube accurately, you don't just pick up a bender and magically do everything correctly. At $4-5 per foot mistakes are expensive and it's tough to learn without LOTS of practice. You will make mistakes, and you will learn how to economize by re-using those "mistakes" elsewhere.

On the exhaust tubing... I've bent a LOT of tube compared to the average jeeper (think something on the order of 20+ cages, and some of them fairly complex), I'm here to tell you, the money you spend with a QUALITY exhaust man is like money in the bank compared to the amount of mistakes and frustration you will need to do it with a normal tube bender. You also will not have some of the normal tools they use for flaring and expanding tube for optimum fit.

I can do THIS, no problem:
[image]

but THIS, I take to the professionals!!!
[image]

The bender from hell (an early iteration, it's grown since we did this one):
[image]
Post by robertcowan on Oct 30, 2006, 10:43pm

i also have a jd squared model 3 bender and i,ve bent alot of .058 wall tubing and its the nuts......... i recomend getting the radius dial so you can repeat bends exactly and if you can splurge get the hyd. attachment it will spoil you on the first bend. great product.....
bob