Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batteries

Default Batteries

I just bought a '68 ambulance, I'm looking for suggestions on cranking amps recommended and possibly any other battery info .

Just my $.02, but I like to run the red top optima batteries or die hard gold/platinum. I believe my optimal are around 800-850 CCA a piece. My dad bought new "military" batteries back in the 80s/90s for his 715's and they never lasted like the normal civilian batteries. I also have diehard batteries (Sears brand) in a few of my cars. A little less expensive than the optimas but they have great warranties! (2-4 years depending on which "series" you get) I had a golf series (3 year warranty) in my toronado when the wiring burned up almost two years ago. Battery was just out of warranty but Sears gave me full credit credit for it! I ended up spending an extra $150 to upgrade to the platinum (4 year warranty+ gel material inside). Not sure what your budget is for batteries, but I would reco men the diehard gold/platinum series or the optima red top batteries.

A couple ( cheap) 500cca batterys will last for 10 yrs. you don't need the big ones as it 24 volts. the higher the volts the less cca,s you need.

Quote Originally Posted by md1970 View Post
    A couple ( cheap) 500cca batterys will last for 10 yrs. you don't need the big ones as it 24 volts. the higher the volts the less cca,s you need.
    I agree on not needing expensive batteries. My Huskey batteries from Tractor Supply are now coming on 10 years old and going strong. Always kept on a GOOD maintainer though.

However, I don't know if batteries are now foreign like everything else. If so, they may not last no matter what you spend.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

I also have just a basic set of Napa batteries that have been in my Truck since I built it in 04'. The big key is to use two of the same size and amp batteries and both be of around the same age.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Agreed with all of the above.
    I'm still running the "silver state" off brand batteries that were in the truck when I got it, and I think they are dated 2009.

I run a few accessory lights and fans, etc, and charge them occasionally just to be feeding them even if they are not hungry.

Just match the size and age and brand, and you should have no problems for a long time.

Of course, the more Ya pay, usually the better quality.

A good rule of thumb for "lead acid batteries" is that the heavier they are the better they are ( thicker plates internally)

Surprised how much I abused them that they have not faded out yet.
    They are either 2009 or 2002 even date coded.
    (Running 12 volt taps on a 24 volt system )
    hostis est intra portas tuas

My batteries are from Costco, same date, same batch. They are about 11" X 7.5" X 7.5" (Approx, measured in the dark ). They spin the starter quite fast and I always disconnect the link between them when not driving the truck. No possible way to discharge. They fit the box nicely and are larger than the ones that I had when in the army.

Quote Originally Posted by md1970 View Post
    I didn't realize that until just last week. The batteries in my truck worked great until I did the 350 swap and went with a dual battery 12v system using the old batteries.... they didn't hold up long after that. the tags on the batteries said they were purchased in Dec 2004.

did you hook up the 2 batteries in paralle ? if you did you should of had 1000 cca which is plenty for a sbc. also did you check the starter ? a low torque starter is tough on batterys especially if its worn.

I've been using two Interstate batteries, and have had 0 problems. I guess it's all a matter of choice. I feel though, that any two new batteries of the same make will be sufficient.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"