Thread: Painted VS. Powder Coated Wheels

Default Painted VS. Powder Coated Wheels

I'm trying to decide whether I want to paint or powder coat my rims. I know powder coating is suppose to be relatively durable, but I would assume that it would get scratched while mounting. I like the idea of painting the rims because touch up is easy. Anyone have experience with this? Is it likely that the powder coating will scratch while mounting? I talked to the guy at the local tire shop today (only place within 15 miles that works on any type of split/safety ring rims) and he said he can usually stomp the lock rings into place with his boots, so the hammer is a last resort. The only problem with painting the wheels right now is the unpredictable weather.

I've found powder-coat to chip easier, on rims; I would powder-coat almost anything else

I would do a good automotive paint, with a good hardener

I can see chipping the powdercoat when installing the tires.
    No question, some scratches are gonna happen along the outer ring.
    ( and probably ONLY the outer ring )

I have to say though,

The stocktons that came with my parts truck were powdercoated from the factory in 2002.

For 13 years of wear....
    They still look pretty good.

I think it might be worth it, versus paint.

only my opinion.

Some of that touch up paint in a finger nail polish bottle might work wonders once the tires are mounted.

I keep going back and forth between painting the stocktons or re coating them.

13 years of wear:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Some powder coat color tests:
    Yellow, blue pen and soda cans are for color comparison.

NOS bumper shown, and electrical outlet is USMC Forest Green 24052 Rapco paint.
    bumper bracket is "hot dipped" into raw powder coat powder,( simply a color test, not a "finish" test ) after heating with a acetylene torch.
    White powder on paper is raw powder coat :

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Blitz; May 29th, 2015 at 10:20 AM.
    hostis est intra portas tuas

Every white wagonwheel I've ever bought comes with powder, and they seem to do ok...

Belt & suspenders! Powder, then touch up with a can if you have to.

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to pull the wheels tomorrow and have the local shop dismount the tires. I'm going to have a company blast them (as soon as possible) and then powder coat them OD. If they get banged up I'll touch up with paint or just completely repaint the front face of the rim. Now just to find a tube size that will work...

I finally picked the rims up from the powder coater and had the new super swampers installed. I think the powder is about as close to "stock" 24087 OD as I'll be able to get. Luckily the guys managed to mount the tires without scratching them

That color sure does look correct! Nice...

Those Look Great!

You will be happy You went with Powder Coating.

Which tubes did you end up using?

I know they have the offset and Long valve stem, but out of curiosity...

What size did You find and Where?

16 inch rims ....or 15 AND 16 inch rims ( for tube size ) ?

What about the ever elusive FLAPS?

I hope You found them "locally" ... somewhere in "Big D".

I want to get a few sets of the "correct" Flaps and a Few Extra tubes ( with the right offset valve stems ) while I can.

Did You Balance them afterwards?

Looking good Riprock.

Just in time.
    hostis est intra portas tuas

The tubes are 9:00x16 radial military tubes. I believe I ordered them from "universaltire" online for about $35 a tube. They were literally the only tubes that I could find that were 1)radial tubes 2) the right size 3) had the bent valve stem. I ordered the flaps from VPW for about $20 a piece. I didn't bother having the tires balanced, but I suppose if they start wearing funny I'll have them "bubble balanced". Front end is currently torn off the truck (damaged) so it's sitting waiting for all the major mechanical work to be done (then it's off for metal work/paint). Unfortunately everything with the 715 is on hold for a few months. We stripped the front end on the 4th and the next day my dad ended up breaking both wrists.....needless to say progress is going to be very slow for the next 6-8 months I'm hoping to have it on the road next summer....or fall

Tires and wheels look great. Bet they'll look even better when sitting under the truck. Hope your dad heals fast. Good luck to you both.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"