Thread: tires

Default tires

I know the issue of tires has been addressed before. I am looking for a new set now. A couple of the places I've talked to have told me that the tires will not work on the split rim because of the beads being different.
    I went through the listed "will fit" tires on here. The guys are telling me that the radial tires will not work with the split rims.
    Could someone clarify this for me. Am I going to have to use a biased multi-ply tire?
    thanks in advanced for your help!
    Brickfist
    67 M724 68 M715

The beads should be the same whether they are bias or radial. 16.5 inch diameter tires have a different bead, but all 16s are the same.

Still need to use tubes, those wheels won't hold air.

Maybe that's what the guys were thinking? If 16.5 beads are different they could have been mistaken.
    Yeah I know about the tube on stock rims. I just couldn't figure out why they were saying they wouldn't work.
    Brickfist
    67 M724 68 M715

theres 16" tubeless and then theres 16" tube type and they are definatly different. will they fit yes but the tubeless has a totally different bead than the tube type and it brings big safety issues into play. just do it right and be safe as possible. its bad enough to mount a split rim and adding a tire on that rim that isnt ment to be used in that application is asking for trouble. they dont call these rims man killers for nothing and most tire shops wont touch em for that reason. jmo
    morgan

If using a radial non tube type tire is so dangerous then why are they listed on the tires that fit page as sub for stock tires with stock rims?
    It would seem that there should be a warning on that page?
    Brickfist
    67 M724 68 M715

First off, we don't have split rims, we have have Military safety ring rims. There is a big difference between the two types, and it is especially important when talking with a tire mounting company that you use the proper terms so they know what they are mounting. And second, in all my years as a retailer of both automotive and off-road tires, there is no difference between the beads of tube vs. tubeless tires. As pointed out earlier there is a major difference in 16.5" tire beads vs. all other sizing. 16.5" tires have a tapered bead and a 16.5" rim does not have a safety lip to hold the bead on if the tire is deflated. Never try to mount a 16.5" tire on a 16" rim as will not end well.

Also I have been running radial Super Swampers on my stock rims for 10 plus years without a single issue.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Ah hah! Terminology!

Sorry if I sounded snotty. .it wasn't my intention I assure you. I just couldn't figure out what the deal was. Figures that I was the common denominator in the foul up. Usually happens that way.
    Thanks for the clarification man. Good looking out!
    Brickfist
    67 M724 68 M715

No problem, I just wanted everyone to understand that there is a difference between a split rim and the military safety ring. Most new style tire shops freak out when you use the word "split ring" that's why is seams to be always best to find the oldest tire shop around with the old grey haired guy behind the counter. They usually look at them and "no problem". The big difference is that with the safety ring, once the bead of the tire touches the ring, there is no way for it to come off like the old split rings. The bead of the tire locks the ring into the safety groove of the rim so it can not go anywhere. This allows you to seat the beads fully without the fear of popping the rings off.

Good luck and have fun.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/