Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front bumper

Default Front bumper

Anyone tried to make a replacement front bumper to stock specs? I was planning on it but can't seem to find the correct material. All I can find locally is too thick because it's structural channel. It won't look right and will weigh a ton.let me know if you have any ideas.

I know Vintage Power Wagons had some of these made...the only thing about them was that when the ovals were cut in the front, they were a little rough from the way they were cut...cleanable with a hand file but it would take a bit of time...a power tool with a decent rotary file would make them nice in not too long.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

You could always build one out of plate steel. I would score the steel along fold lines, clamp it down good, use some levers to fold, then do some incremental welds along the inside of the fold lines to hold the bends in place. It should be pretty cheap and easy if you weld.

A while back I bought one from Memphis, drivers side if I remember right. They had some made years back, when I got mine they said they had a couple left.
    1967 M715

OMG, I think I tried bending some heavy sheet metal to make a bumper for a pickup. Its not worth it. I assumed that you could get C channel in that dimension? If you took the old one to a steel shop they should be able to fab it, right? I was panning on one of those two options soon. Mine was bent 4 wheeling pushing down trees
    Feast or famine,

I did out of iron brought to a shop to take the edges off. It was expensive but I will never have to replace it again

http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/sm610user/media/20140623_205443.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0[/IMG]

http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/sm610user/media/20140623_205423_1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1[/IMG]

I think I used 7" c channel

TP

Heavy Duty,,,
    Looks Good.

Same thing was used on my parts truck, but mine is no where near as nice looking.
    Just a solid piece of c channel...
    Indestructible , completely...

but not near as nice as what You made. ( I dont have a pic handy of my bumper right now )

Fixed the pics for ya:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    hostis est intra portas tuas

It wasn't too bad to bend the plate. The trick is to do a deep score on the fold lines. For mine I used 1/4" plate steel. Took the angle grinder and ground the bend line down until only about 1/16-1/8" of material remained. Then a nice easy straight bend. Then after I bent it, I welded along the inside surface of the score/bend. This makes the outside look clean as though you just bent the steel like the original bumpers.

I would use channel, they make the size you are looking for. yes its heavier, but your truck wont know the difference.

Yep, I also used a piece of 7" C channel on mine when I restored it. It is quite a bit heavier but you don't have to worry about denting or bending it if you bump something. To cut the shackle holes I used a hole saw in the drill press to cut the rounded ends and then connected them with a jig saw. A little clean up with a dremmel tool and it was good to go.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/