Thread: vapor lock prevention

Default vapor lock prevention

With summer parade season approaching, I went back and read the posts about preventing vapor lock. Everything from fuel additives to clothespins on the fuel line near the exhaust manifold. Wrapping the fuel lines seemed like a good idea to me though. My question is this....is their a special product out there for just wrapping the fuel line, and while I figure the wrapping ends at the fuel pump, where is the best place to start? Is this product found at a local auto parts store?
    Just don't want to have my truck pushed the last block of the parade again if possible. Thanks.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I would like to see a few ideas on this also.
    Once warmed up, my CJ3B doesn't like to restart after shutting off and setting for a few minutes during the summer.
    It does get embarrassing during a parade.
    I'm still thinking it is the ethanol laced gasoline that is the problem.
    Don't have any alternatives very close to home for fuel.

I like the wrap idea.

When working on my electric fuel pump yesterday, I noticed how close it is to the exhaust.
    I'm running a non stock fuel pump , non stock SBC and 'new' custom exhaust, so the design is not the same as You guys,... just the theory.

1.I could fab a heat shield for my pump...
    2.wrap about 8 inches to 1 foot of exhaust , under the truck
    3.or wrap about 1 foot of fuel pump and lines.

wrapping the exhaust can cause rust out.... major trade off
    wrapping the fuel lines... I cant see much problem with that, except "clearance Clarence."
    The heat shield will work for my location, right under the drivers door , inside the frame at and above the drivers side of the T case cross member ( where My FP is )

For a Parade... and as a temporary Quick and Dirty fix....

How about some sort of ICE BUCKET, or even DRY ICE,
    strategically located in the problem areas?

Laugh, but i have pieces of Nomex, and "protective fire proof blankets" used to Solder copper pipe inside Home walls... ( Soldering blankets available at any hardware store )
    It wont melt or burn, and would surely hold enough Dry Ice, to keep it in place on the fuel line problem areas for a few hours.
    Laugh again.. But bailing wire.

I didnt say it was pretty...
    Just Quick and Dirty.

Jeepdan brought up a Good Point.

Hard to find Racing Fuel, in 105 or higher octane. ( Purple Fuel )
    100 Low Lead from an Airport FBO might be better for a Parade.

Heat Sink material ?
    Like 1/4 inch soft refrigeration copper wrapped around the problem areas...
    filled with antifreeze and .... circulation from a sump bucket ( Surrounded in ICE )
    never mind... way way overkill.

You got that idea.
    hostis est intra portas tuas

Vapor lock on the mechanical pump is on the vacuum side of the pump. The pressure side is all good. So, pressure in the line between the tank and mechanical pump will fix your problem.

I personally like all mechanical pumps. No cold, dark, rainy night alternator failures to leave you stuck. However, maybe an electric pump under the bed bolted to the back of the under bed tool box would help. Use it as a booster pump when you know the truck is hot. Kind of like low wing airplanes have a back up electric pump to the engine mounted mechanical one. Only to be used on starting, take off, landing and if the mechanical pump fails.

I have such a set up on my M715. Great for priming my diesel filter after a change. Otherwise, I don't use it. I do turn it on every so often just to make sure it still works.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw