Thread: Need help in hooking up running lights on my M715

Smile Need help in hooking up running lights on my M715

I recently drug out my M715 truck to actually put it on the road and I have about ready but according to Virginia law, the state where I live, I have to have running lights in the front and back of the vehicle....does anybody know how I could hook into the wiring system to do that without burning something up.....I just bought a brand new alternator and don't want to take any chances in messing that one up $$$$$$. Any reply would be appreciated.

12V or 24V?

You could wire a relay to the switched 12V coming out of the ignition switch.

Under the dash is a wire #85 that is for the fresh air heater blower motor OR the spotlight on the M726...if you have neither, or if you are powering either of those in another way, then you should be able to find a waterproof male wire end under the dash near the steering column.

The wire will supply plenty for running lights.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Not sure what you need? If just parking lights then on the 3 way, just turn the lever to park with the other lever on service drive. That turns on the front parking lights and the rear running lights but turns off the headlights. If you are required to have front parking lights while the headlights are on, then you will need to splice wire #491 which is on pin L at the switch with wire #16 which is pin M. #16 is power wire for the headlights and #491 is the supply to the parking lights. This would power the parking lights anytime the headlights are on, but turning the switch to park would turn them off instead.

Now before you start splicing wires, I would double check that you need to modify it. Most states have exemptions for vehicles over certain ages that did not come from the factory with the required feature. So it would be wise to check first.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Not sure what you need?

Now before you start splicing wires, I would double check that you need to modify it. Most states have exemptions for vehicles over certain ages that did not come from the factory with the required feature. So it would be wise to check first.
    I would surely challenge the person that told you that you needed to retrofit a vintage vehicle. To me, that just doesn't sound right. Seriously.

Just my 2Ȼ.

Beast gave you the exact way to make front marker lights and head lights work together.

However, as mentioned already. Check your local rules. Nobody else on this forum or other MV forums from your state has had this issue. Guys registering as regular trucks and as former military trucks with just bumper numbers. PM Randycycle. He is in VA and has multiple trucks without mentioning this issue.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

It was not an issue in MD for me to register the vehicle. Of course, I have "Historic" tags. But if you were to, for instance, register a 1971 street-legal dirt bike, they did not come with turn signals or running lights.

I could be wrong (usually am ) but vehicles usually don't have to be retro-fitted with all kinds of stuff. For that matter, how about seat belts? Whilst I have them in my truck, I suspect they may not be required etc. You can believe that when I take my 5-year old grandson in the truck, his child safety seat will be installed!

PA is VERY strict and here you only need to meet the rules that were in effect as of the date of the vehicle, if basically stock. Antique registration is the same and MUST be as it left the factory. But, if you make a custom truck from say a '715, you can't get antique status but must register as "reconstruction" which is regular plates and therefore, the rules apply as to the reconstruction date.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Quote Originally Posted by rboltz View Post
    PA is VERY strict and here you only need to meet the rules that were in effect as of the date of the vehicle, if basically stock. Antique registration is the same and MUST be as it left the factory. But, if you make a custom truck from say a '715, you can't get antique status but must register as "reconstruction" which is regular plates and therefore, the rules apply as to the reconstruction date.

Thanks Ron.

Aside from the bloody taxes here in MD, there is no emission or vehicle inspection in Florida ... Yet! One more reason for my move.

Im in VA also and vintage or antique plates would make sense. Barman is on it the "park" position would take car of the issue