Thread: Thoughts on hood-mounted blackout light swap?

Default Thoughts on hood-mounted blackout light swap?

When I got my truck the blackout light wasn't installed. I have the brush guard, and now the hood bracket, so it is time to think about installing the light when the truck goes back together.

For the authentic look, I could install the traditional blackout light. I noticed in a few pictures that some folks had swapped out for another regular light, sort of a fixed spotlight.

I noticed these tank lights on eBay which may be what people are using?

Have you guys swapped your blackout light for something else, and if so, what type of light? Size? Military P/N?

Another blackout light on the hood probably isn't too practical for my uses so I'm exploring options.

Thanks for your feedback.

Fishtail did a conversion here, where he used a motorcycle bulb ( 12 volts ) and it fit in there perfectly. ( search blackout light conversion )

I guess it depends on what voltage Your truck is.

In my opinion, the M 715 does not look right without one.

I have a spare here that I converted to 12 volts for my parts truck, and its going on there.
    My parts truck does not look stock at all, and its still getting the one I converted.

The light you have pictured above, is a Spot light, and will work on 24 volts.
    Fair warning , its probably 100 watts and will be bright as hell

If you have a blackout light now....

Try it out on a dark dark moonless night, and you might be surprised, after your eyes adjust, how you can see with them.

BTW, I used a 12 volt "Malibu" outdoor low voltage flood, and I believe its 50 watts. For the non stock parts truck.
    (The brightest I could get, and I bought the bulbs before I bought the M 715's, so i just used what i had on hand. )

I can get You the part number later... Its raining like a waterfall here.

Adapted the stock packard connectors to work with modern "bullet" wire connectors, which work really well inside the housing. ( and for emergency roadside repairs to the stock wiring )

you need both connectors, M and F

Last edited by Blitz; January 22nd, 2015 at 07:19 PM.
    hostis est intra portas tuas

Sorry, it was RandysCycle, and not the other member I mentioned.

By using the bullet connectors above, you do not have to cut any stock wiring, or you can order the correct packard fittings and the crimper...
    Which is probably a good investment.

Another 12v blackout hood light conversion
    hostis est intra portas tuas

My truck is a [product of unwed parents] , it's 12v, and I have no respect for history, so I'll be installing a 100W Cibie driving light that's sitting on my bench.
    As soon as I figure out how to make spray-bomb stick to chrome.

Aren't those tank lights like $150? The ones I saw on eBay were...