Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NP 200 Tear Down

Default NP 200 Tear Down

My transfer case output shafts had no perceptible wear or slop.

But,
    During teardown, I found all bearings blue from over heating, and the bearing cups lightly pitted.
    What supprised me the most, was that the bearing cavity of the idler gear was packed completely full of black, varnish like dirt.
    How did that stuff get in there?
    With all of the crud inside of the idler gear, oil could no longer have passed into the oiling hole of the idler gear.
    Last edited by jeepdan; April 28th, 2014 at 07:01 PM.

Your starting a fun job now. I did mine last year replaced all bearings and shifter shafts and a new thrush washer as mine was only half there.
    1969 M715

Quote Originally Posted by e8wing View Post
    Your starting a fun job now. I did mine last year replaced all bearings and shifter shafts and a new thrush washer as mine was only half there.
    Where did you buy the thrust washer from?

I have to look it up I will post later.
    1969 M715

I don't suppose you would want to take a few pics of the rebuild and post them would you?

PM sent. Some good ifo on a rebuild is found here: http://blog.gieselman.com/post/NP200...e-Rebuild.aspx
    1969 M715

Quote Originally Posted by rambler247 View Post
    I don't suppose you would want to take a few pics of the rebuild and post them would you?
    I would be happy to take photos of anything that you would like to see.

Thanks e8wing, that is great info.
    http://blog.gieselman.com/post/NP200...e-Rebuild.aspx

I have found and bought all of the bearings and seals needed from ebay this evening.
    All USA made. Timken roller bearings and MRC ball bearings, and National and CR seals, at slightly over $320.00 total. Ouch!
    Got a couple gasket sets from ABlinn.
    Now, I need to order a couple of shim kits from McMaster/Car.
    A few of the thinnest, original shims were smashed almost in pieces.

I made a tool to remove the center shaft. It only goes out the back of the case. I got a 1 inch wood dow and ground it down to fit the hole. Then I drilled a hole in one end to go over the threads on the from of the shaft. Work great for removal and install. Had to mount all the gears etc. on the wood tool and hold it inside the case while installing the shaft. One thing to be sure of have no burs on the end of the shaft if you do it will crack the case. Use some emery paper on it to insure it is smooth.
    1969 M715

Another thing just poped into my mind. The 2 shifting forks that the shifting shafts go through. Use a round file and clean them out until you new shafts slide smoothly through them.
    1969 M715

Likely the result of decades of neglect. What do you want to bet that the crud you drained was the original gear oil?