Thread: Does anyone make new tailgates?

Default Does anyone make new tailgates?

I was thinking about making a new tailgate, but making it very heavy duty! One that you would actually feel comfortable USING.
    Does anyone make these tailgates?
    Only thing I couldn't currently do is the raised JEEP part of it. Otherwise I could make those things fairly easy.

Believe it or not, Bob Cowan makes them, using 1/8" steel (instead of stock 1/16"). Reports from those who have seen them are very positive. No "JEEP" though.... I forget what he's charging for them.

If one were to torch off the "JEEP" from a J-truck tailgate, though it would be slightly different, it would probably look very good.

Last edited by Binford; November 2nd, 2006 at 11:45 PM.
    -- Tim Taylor

The postl Jeeps have pretty much te same Jeep lettering on their tailgates...has anyone verified it to be exact? I think Doug knows on that part....

I know VPW had all the pieces to make tailgates, but they would be shippedin pieces for the buyer to weld together...made on the same dies the stock ones were with NO Jeep s well...something Highland did after they bought the stuff from Jeep...people have said hey called VPW and asked and VPW says the dont have these...I have pictues on the VPW parts tour page and specifically talked to Dave, the owner here, about them.

I think Bob Cowan wants like $200 or $250 for his....not including shipping....
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Hmm, for that much I will make my own!
    I just hate loosing the JEEP part.
    Of course I could cut that part out and put it into the new gate I make. But I also hate cutting up a fairly decent gate that I have.

See if there is someone out there with a mangled gate that has good lettering, ship them yours for a few bucks profit for you...take their bad one and hack it....

That'll be $10.50....THANKS!!

Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

You want me to start charging technical fees?

And shipping for a tailgate cannot be cheap. Or at least it wouldn't seem cheap.

Charge away!!

(bankruptcy here I come!!!!!)

I bet shipping would be a few bucks...but people do look for good tailgates...which are getting harder and harder to find....willing to pay some bucks for one...

Heck, just run to your local pick-a-part and buy a tailgate off a J-truck or DJ for cheap, then torch off the lettered section and tack it on your tailgate. The lettering size may be a tad off, but it won't be very noticeable, I'd wager....

(Easy for me to say....I've never torched or welded anything in my life! Well, not since my dad [a shop teacher] let me mess around a very little bit [under his watchful supervision] with an oxy/acetylene setup when I was 10.)
    -- Tim Taylor